title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: User Error: cannot find AAC (M4A) converter

User Error: cannot find AAC (M4A) converter

Having been away from using DbPowerAmp for a long time, I am having difficulty in finding the AAC encoder for use in Music Converter. I had previously used this encoder - the converted files are there on my disk: browsing with Music Converter from within Fle Explorer shows old files coverted (from FLAC) using AAC (LC), producing medium quality (lossy) files, with 90% compression.

Now I can only find the Apple Lossless encoder option (ignoring MP3) which produces an M4A file with the ALAC encoder which is perfectly lossless and larger than the FLAC original.

What am I doing wrong ?

Administrator

Re: User Error: cannot find AAC (M4A) converter

The m4a (aac) encoder has been standard in dBpoweramp for a long time, if you have an old version of dBpoweramp you might be able to find the codec by browsing dBpoweramp.com on archive.org, try looking 10 or more years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The m4a (aac) encoder has been standard in dBpoweramp for a long time, if you have an old version of dBpoweramp you might be able to find the codec by browsing dBpoweramp.com on archive.org, try looking 10 or more years ago.
    Yes, I know this because I used it so often. My last use was in version 16.6 (I think) was in July 2019 and produced an AAC (LC) M4A file. So I don't need to go back anyhting like 10 years. But when I now fire up that exact same version of Music Converter, that option (AAC) is not presented to me. Could this be caused by an update to Windows 10 Home - of which there has been 1 or 2 since Jul 2019? Other than this, it doesn't make sense to me.

Administrator

R16 never shipped with an m4a encoder, it was installed separately from Codec Central, you need to look at the old version of our web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    R16 never shipped with an m4a encoder, it was installed separately from Codec Central, you need to look at the old version of our web site.
    Ah, yes, you're quite correct: being well past it, I had forgotten that I had downloaded the FDK codec separately. For some strange reason the re-install fails at the end with a message about an error in the config step which I am not able to make sense of. Out of interest I downloaded R.17.7 and that installed with the FDK codec included, so I was able to complete the task in hand. Thank you for your prompt and definitive support