title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: A New Member's Observation & Question

A New Member's Observation & Question

Hi, guys I'm 69 and I've recently purchased an Aurender N100H about 7 to 8 weeks ago now. Before obtaining the Aurender my ONLY exposure to digital audio was CDs & CD players, but I'm slowly getting used to ripping and then placing the CDs I ripped onto my Aurender. However, after doing this to a little over 30 CDs now, here's my question Why hasn't dBpoweramp recognized even one of my CDs? Granted I enjoy a lot of obscure music, but come on, dBpoweramp didn't even recognize the CD Blood, Sweat & Tears by Blood, Sweat & Tears?

So that's my my question! From what I've seen so far dBpoweramp seems to be missing a lot of the metadata for well-known, easily recognizable CDs! I mean who doesn't know "And When I Die? " or "God Bless the Child? " and of course, everyone knows "Spinning Wheels" and "You've Made Me So Very Happy!" Personally I'd consider any of these songs to be an easily recognizable hit making the CD it's on worthy of being recognized all on its own! But the fact that these songs are on one CD together and dBpoweramp still didn't have its metadata as a file to automatically pull up and install is a shame. If dBpoweramp is having such a hard time locating the metadata for a CD cover like Blood, Sweat, and Tears, ---{a CD cover whose metadata had to be included when more than a few dBpoweramp members ripped their copies of the Blood, Sweat & Tears CD}--- then please answer this one simple question?

Why doesn't dBpowetamp provide users the option of uploading the CD covers I/we took the time to go with our ripped files. I've located and copied the exact artwork that was originally on the covers of about 30 CDs and I see absolutely no way of uploading or passing on these metadata files to my fellow dBpoweramp members!!!! I, as well as others, took the time to locate these CD covers so that others could also have exact copies of the CD artwork their covers CDs originally had, and yet I see no way to share or upload these files so that others might have them as well. I just don't understand why dBpoweramp isn't encouraging this action from all their members...

Thetubeguy1954
    ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ==========
    My Audio System: Don Sachs Custom 6SN7 line Stage, Mastersound Reference 845 Power Amp, YBA CD-4 CD Transport,
    Aurender N100H Music Server, Musical Paradise MP-D2 Tube DAC, Reference 3A Taksim Speakers

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: A New Member's Observation & Question

dBpoweramp doesn't actually own the metadata, it's sourced from external providers (CD Ripper > Menu > Active Providers).
    dBpoweramp matches to CDs not songs, but I'd be surprised if too many of your CDs weren't matched, can you find them in MusicBrainz or Discogs?

If it's never worked and you're running Windows you could try running it after rebooting into safe mode. If this works then it's likely security software is blocking the program.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    dBpoweramp doesn't actually own the metadata, it's sourced from external providers (CD Ripper > Menu > Active Providers).
    dBpoweramp matches to CDs not songs, but I'd be surprised if too many of your CDs weren't matched, can you find them in MusicBrainz or Discogs?

If it's never worked and you're running Windows you could try running it after rebooting into safe mode. If this works then it's likely security software is blocking the program.

Agree. Something is blocking the metadata on your end. dbpa found the BS&T album you mention for me when I ripped it. And I've ripped around 5,000 CDs and there are probably fewer than 50 out of that 5,000 that dbpa didn't recognize (and most of those were from local bands, very obscure, etc.).

edit: and dbpa does allow one to use their own covers. In the ripping screen, lower right related to artwork, right click and choose "load from file" and it will use whatever file you want for the cover art.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
    Why doesn't dBpoweramp provide users the option of uploading the CD covers I/we took the time to go with our ripped files. I've located and copied the exact artwork that was originally on the covers of about 30 CDs and I see absolutely no way of uploading or passing on these metadata files to my fellow dBpoweramp members!!!! I, as well as others, took the time to locate these CD covers so that others could also have exact copies of the CD artwork their covers CDs originally had, and yet I see no way to share or upload these files so that others might have them as well. I just don't understand why dBpoweramp isn't encouraging this action from all their members...
    The metadata you may get in dBpoweramp is not sourced or stored from anything on their side. This is from various 3rd party web sources. If you add PerfectTunes, this actually combines several resources seeking the best possible combinations of info to get the most accurate metadata possible for you. But there is no way for dbpa to upload this artwork back to those sites.

If you are interested in uploading to share, you can try this site that I often use. But note they have a strict policy on the quality expectations. They are hosting well over 600k high quality images.
    Album Art Exchange