title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: metadata not being retrieved

metadata not being retrieved

Greetings!
    I just purchased, downloaded and installed dbPoweramp on a Windows 11 machine.
    When I open the CD Ripper and point to my optical drive, the ten tracks and
    their times are shown, but no track/album/artist info.
    The manual Metadata Search
    window comes up with "<no metadata found, type here to lookup manually"
    in the Artist Field.
    If I play the CD with VLC Media player, it shows the Artist and track name.
    When I enter the Artist and Album name manually, No Joy.

If the VLC Media player can display the metadata, dbPoweramp should be able to also.

Suggestions?

Have fun,
    Paxton

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: metadata not being retrieved

In the dBpoweramp Control Center, what is the Registered Status?

Is the no metadata found repeated, if you try other CDs?

Administrator

Security software blocking dBpoweramp from accessing internet?

Have you also tried different CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In the dBpoweramp Control Center, what is the Registered Status?

Is the no metadata found repeated, if you try other CDs?
    The "Reference Registered" is Fully registered, no restrictions (729 days of updates
    dbPoweramp is allowed to access the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Security software blocking dBpoweramp from accessing internet?

Have you also tried different CDs?
    I have not tried other CD's. But, why ask that? The point is that the VLC media player can find the artist and track title.
    I don't think I have any "Security Software" that would prevent access. How might I troubleshoot that?

Have fun,
    Paxton

Greetings!
    I did try another CD, and I got the message that the cd could be used to configure AccurateRip. after I set AccurateRip it did read the new cd.
    The I tried the original one and it said "Not in AccurateRip".
    But Still, how does VLC media player find the Artist and Track names. I assume it is reading the metadate off the disk. I would think that dbpoweramp could/would read it and then allow editing it.
    Any suggestions?
    Have fun,
    Paxton

dBpoweramp Guru

Most CDs have no metadata on the disc, metadata wasn't even thought of in the 1980 period when CDs were invented. CDs were designed to replace LPs, and just like an LP, the metadata was on the artwork that comes with and on the CD label. Since then Sony came up with a system called CD TEXT which includes limited metadata burned into a CD. But for various reasons, few CDs include CD Text and even fewer players can read it. However dBpoweramp can read it if it is there.

But most of the metadata which dBpoweramp and other rippers (or computer based CD players) display comes over the Internet from a number of independent services that get data from the ripper as to what CD it is ripping, and reply with whatever metadata they have for that CD. Some of the providers, like Musicbrainz and Freedb are run by non-profits. Others are branches of businesses that have other uses for the data, like tracking the number of plays a track gets. And these non-profits/businesses come and go. Furthermore some of the business ones will only provide limited free service, others will only license companies like Illustrate, the makers of dBpoweramp, to link the software to their database on an exclusive basis. In addition to any CD TEXT, dBpoweramp uses GD3, Musicbrainz, Freedb (actually a reincarnation of Freedb, as the original folded a couple of years ago), and (I think) Sonata, which only has metadata for classical releases. It also can recover metadata from the Discogs discography, but because Discogs has no built in means for identifying what CD you are ripping, it depends on at least one other metadata source having data on the CD you are ripping.

Different ripping software uses different metadata sources. None of the sources have anywhere near complete collections of metadata. This is particularly true if the CD you are ripping is obscure, of a less popular (in the USA/Europe) genre, was a limited release or is a new release, yet to be entered into the databases. So it is likely that VLC is using a different metadata source than dBpoweramp.

The presence or non presence of a CD in accuraterip is not connected with the availability or non-availability of metadata. However, the fact that a CD is not in accuraterip probably means it is not particularly popular, and as described above, is possibly less likely to have metadata in any of the providers as well.

Administrator

You should try starting Windows in Safe Mode, choose the Networking option.

This ensures nothing else is running which could stop dBpoweramp:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...h%20Networking.