title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Any chance batch converter will someday support converting DSF?

Any chance batch converter will someday support converting DSF?

I am digitizing my 500+ albums and have found that DSD ripping sounds the best to my ears. I have also found that converting the DSD files to 24 bit 192 wav also sound great, better than flac, better than any other lossless.

I would like to convert my DSD rips to WAV so my portable DAP can play them but it seems Music Converter does not support DSD.

Any plans to support conversion of DSD files?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Any chance batch converter will someday support converting DSF?

Quote Originally Posted by LtMandella View Post
    I have also found that converting the DSD files to 24 bit 192 wav also sound great, better than flac, better than any other lossless.
    The conversion from analog to digital is painfully slow in real time. But it is also highly enjoyable, as it almost forces us to listen to each album in its' entirety. This is something lost on many of today's listeners that have been "disadvantaged" by streaming services. Many widely available devices that handle the conversion only natively output 16bit/48kHz maximum. So be sure that you aren't simply up-sampling this to DSD or even 24/192 wav.

I am not sure what DAP you have, but most do not support very much detail in the metadata using wav. So this may limit the browsing options, depending on the player. This may or may not be important to you as a priority over your choice of file format.

I won't debate your personal preference for wav versus flac or other lossless formats either, but the unpacked data is 1:1 the exact same as far as what is feeding the DACs of that device. Only the CPU power required to do that unpacking may throttle the performance - but this is highly unlikely in most DAPs.

To the best of my knowledge, dBpoweramp already supports conversion of DSD to other lossless and lossy formats.

[[To the best of my knowledge, dBpoweramp already supports conversion of DSD]]

I am running version 16.6 and the file dialog for the audio file types does not show DSD as an option. And when I navigate to a folder containing DSF rips, the folder shows as empty in the converter file dialogue.

Maybe I need an updated version of dbPowerAmp but I cannot find a menu item for updating, or checking for latest version, etc. (like most windoze apps have nowadays)

I have multiple desktop DACs and DAPs, some support DSD playback, some do not.

I found the update link. Not in the "standard" windoze "help" menu. Looks like it will cost me $60 to update, which is not in my budget. And weird because I thought I had 2 years of free updates after purchase of 16.6 version, and version 17 which supports DSD conversion, must have been released within two years of 16.6
    So I'll just use Jriver or Audiogate for the conversions...