title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Questions about replaygain

Questions about replaygain

Just wondering, does Replaygain impact files rendered "as is" (FLAC) in my case, or only when transcoded? Currently transcoding to WAV, I've implemented replaygain on all my music via Foobar2000's replaygain scanner. Also, what's the benefit to rendering out to 24-bit when applying it? I have a lot of music that is already 24-bit that probably won't be impacted, but does this provide any benefit to 16-bit tracks?

And lastly, I'm assuming album gain is the way to go (and my replaygain settings for my albums were calculated per album, not per track), but is there any benefit one way or the other choosing Album Gain vs. Track Gain?

I'm running the Linux server version if it matters.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Questions about replaygain

Quote Originally Posted by tomkatt View Post
    Just wondering, does Replaygain impact files rendered "as is" (FLAC) in my case, or only when transcoded?
    The help page states:
    "Only tracks which are streamed (in a format other than 'as is') would have replaygain applied."

Also, what's the benefit to rendering out to 24-bit when applying it? I have a lot of music that is already 24-bit that probably won't be impacted, but does this provide any benefit to 16-bit tracks?
    Again, from the help page:
    "If the player supports 24 bit audio then enable this option as it allows ReplayGain adjustments without any loss of bit depth when playing 16 bit tracks, also set the Active and Inactive pre-amp to -3 dB."

And lastly, I'm assuming album gain is the way to go (and my replaygain settings for my albums were calculated per album, not per track), but is there any benefit one way or the other choosing Album Gain vs. Track Gain?
    I personally use track gain when shuffling and turn it off when listening to albums so there's no additional processing in the signal path (I find it's not that much of an overhead adjusting the volume between albums if I listen to more than one).

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    I personally use track gain when shuffling and turn it off when listening to albums so there's no additional processing in the signal path (I find it's not that much of an overhead adjusting the volume between albums if I listen to more than one).
    So are track and album gain separate? Is this automatic or do I need to scan my library again with track gain set?

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

So are track and album gain separate? Is this automatic or do I need to scan my library again with track gain set?
    Yes they are different. Quoting from bluOS:
    Track gain - Volume adjustments performed on the individual tracks, ensuring all tracks playback with equal volume.
    Album gain - Volume adjustments performed on albums - this maintains dynamic volume differences of tracks in an album.
    I think foobar calculates album and track gain in separate steps, so if you wanted to use track gain you may need to calculate it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Yes they are different. Quoting from bluOS:

I think foobar calculates album and track gain in separate steps, so if you wanted to use track gain you may need to calculate it.
    dBpoweramp has a Replaygain calculator utility included as part of the Reference package. It can calculate Track gain, Album gain, and even add the iTunes Normalization equivalents (you have to choose one only though).
    [ReplayGain] Non-destructive volume normalization calculation (requires compatible player)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    dBpoweramp has a Replaygain calculator utility included as part of the Reference package. It can calculate Track gain, Album gain, and even add the iTunes Normalization equivalents (you have to choose one only though).
    [ReplayGain] Non-destructive volume normalization calculation (requires compatible player)
    foobar2000 will calculate both track and album gain in a single step, just like dbpoweramp. Foobar2000 uses R128 LUFS -18 by default.