title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to re-arrange directory structor of ripped CDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • three_jeeps
    • Nov 2018

How to re-arrange directory structor of ripped CDs

I have a situation that might be ‘fixed’ with dbpower amp-cd ripper or perhaps another program. I ripped over 300 cd’s using dbpower amp. On my music database disk driver, I created top level directory called MyMusic and underthat, directories that correspond to the genre of the music, for example, ClassicalMusic, RockMusic, NewAgeMusic, etc. When I rip a CD, CDRipper identifies the genre and I specify that the target location for the ripped music should be one of the genre-level directories that I created.

When the CD is ripped, for the most part, the resultant directory structure on a windoz machine looks like:
    MyMusic/ClassicalMusic/Andrea Bocelli/Amore/track 1, track 2, track 3…track n
    Generally speaking
    MyMusic/Genre/ArtistName/AlbumName/track 1, 2, 3…etc

If no artist was specified
    MyMusic/ClassicalMusic/AlbumName/track 1, 2, 3, etc.

When I look at the music collection in Volumio (my music jukebox software), it display the information graphically in much the same was as the directory structure on the disk…
    e.g.home is MyMusic, and clicking on MyMusic displays a list of genres, e.g.ClassicalMusic and then within ClassicalMusic, it lists all the artists, once I pick and artist, I see a list of their albums, and when selecting an album, a list of their tracks

I don’t like this structure. I’d like to see:

ClassicalMusic/AlbumName/ArtistName/Track1, 2, etc. e.g. the index into the directories is first through the AlbumName, the ArtistName as subdirectories, then the tracks associated with the AlbumName.

Can this structure be changed using CDRipper? If not, is there a program to rearrange the directory structure?

I think I can specify the target directory structure in CDRipper but I really don't want to re-rip all those CDs
    Any help/guidance is appreciated.
    J
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: How to re-arrange directory structor of ripped CDs

Originally posted by three_jeeps
    Can this structure be changed using CDRipper? If not, is there a program to rearrange the directory structure
    It certainly can't be done in CDRipper as that's for ripping discs, but it might be possible in Batch Converter using the Arrange Audio codec from here. Have you tagged your files with Genre as specified in the directory structure e.g. Classical, Rock, NewAge? If you haven't then you'll need to perform string manipulation on the path e.g. [TRIMLASTFOLDER][TRIMLASTFOLDER][origpath][][][album]\[album artist]\[track] - [title].

Is there a reason why you're browsing by the folder structure? I've just had a quick look at a Volumio video, and in a default configuration it seems to offer Album, Artist and Genre indexes so can't you simply browse by the tags? I don't understand why anyone would want to limit themselves to browsing by the folder structure, unless of course they want the minimum amount of work to do - although I assume it'll display the tags on the Now Playing screen anyway.

Comment

Working...

]]>