title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: adding CRC/MD5 tag to AIFF files

Question adding CRC/MD5 tag to AIFF files

hello everyone

i'm currently in the process of ripping some CDs and want the rips to be secure as possible. i would like to rip in the AIFF format since its closest to the source but i'm also aware it doesn't have the CRC/MD5 checksum embedded into the file like FLAC.

i'm wondering if i can add the CRC/MD5 tag to the AIFF file and that'll cover it?

i plan on building a home server sometime in the future and do not want any corrupted data.

truthfully i'm not quite sure how it works so if i can get some info about it and whether i can add the tags to AIFF, or any recommendations i'd very much appreciate it!

thanks

Administrator

Re: adding CRC/MD5 tag to AIFF files

You should be able to load the text file into a spread sheet and sort on the filename.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: adding CRC/MD5 tag to AIFF files

Quote Originally Posted by joeygnosis View Post
    i'm wondering if i can add the CRC/MD5 tag to the AIFF file and that'll cover it?
    truthfully i'm not quite sure how it works so if i can get some info about it and whether i can add the tags to AIFF, or any recommendations i'd very much appreciate it!
    FLAC stores the DECODED audio MD5 hash (so it doesn't matter what compression you use, or if you subsequently modify the tags) internally, and because it's part of the specification you can use FLAC to perform the validation, ensuring that the DECODED audio still matches the internal MD5 hash.
    Code:
    flac -t "01.flac"
    In foobar, if I try and convert the corrupted FLAC to MP3 I'll also be given a warning, so these things are baked in.

If you add an MD5 to your AIFF file, what are you going to do with it? I know FFMPEG can calculate an MD5 based on the audio, so I guess you could script it, but I'm not aware of anything that will make use of it.

In short, make life easier for yourself and stick to FLAC, depending on what server software you're using it'll probably be able to transcode to PCM for you anyway if that's what your streamer prefers, plus you won't have to deal with the mess that is ID3!

If you want to corrupt a file you can use this in powershell (make sure the byte offsets are towards the middle of the file so you affect the audio):
    Code:
    $file = "D:\TestFLACCorruption\01.flac"
    $bytes  = [System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes("$file")
    $bytes[2000000] = 0xFF
    $bytes[2000001] = 0xFF
    $bytes[2000002] = 0xFF
    [System.IO.File]::WriteAllBytes("$file", $bytes)