title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Custome fields in AssetUPNP

Custome fields in AssetUPNP

Hi Guys.

AssetUPNP Version: R7.4 [Linux-x64]; Functionality: Premium Registered

Running on Debian 11.

Just ripped 500+ to flacs, All have 'Album Artist Sort' tag. Followed instructions to add the field via browser, advanced & 'Edit Database fields' (https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Tags-to-Asset)

I can also see them here: -rw-r--r-- 1 asset asset 331 Sep 30 15:45 MediaDatabaseFieldsv7a.txt

Eg:
    artist
    album artist
    album artist sort
    album
    genre
    composer
    conductor

This now show in the browser field as a tag to pick, which I have inserted.
    Also as a child item added 'Albums'

This can be seen in the plain text browse:

Album Artist Sort
    Album Artist Sort\Album
    Artist{_a_to_z_}{_no_track_list_}
    Album{_a_to_z_}

However, no albums are listed, when browsing the asset server from say 'mconnect' client app or foobar.

Whats missing or wrong?
    title,TEXT

Administrator

Re: Custome fields in AssetUPNP

The sort tags are special, I am not sure you can browse the actual tag values.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The sort tags are special, I am not sure you can browse the actual tag values.
    Hi, thanks for the reply, but...

In what way special? Its simply a vorbis tag addition to the standard values?

If we can't use the 'special' tag it just makes them pointless and useless.

Not ideal, however by way of an experiment.

I created a new tag albumartistsort (no spaces) and used a tag editor to copy the values from your "special" tag to the additional tag with no spaces.

Example:
    vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.3.4 20220220
    comments: 19
    comment[2]: Artist=Arena
    comment[3]: Title=The Equation (The Science Of Magic)
    comment[4]: Album=The Theory Of Molecular Inheritance
    comment[7]: Album Artist Sort=Arena
    comment[8]: Label=Verglas Music
    comment[9]: Source=CD (Lossless)
    comment[10]: Encoder=FLAC 1.3.4
    comment[11]: Encoder Settings=-compression-level-8 -verify
    comment[12]: ALBUMARTIST=Arena
    comment[16]: ALBUMARTISTSORT=Arena

I then changed the browse tree to use ALBUMARTISTSORT, this works and gives the albums in the browse tree as expected.
    Albumartistsort{_no_track_list_}
    Albumartistsort\Album

So why cant the 'special tags' added by the ripper be used? (It does sort of render them pointless addition?)
    Last edited by Zorander; 09-30-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Administrator

Album artist sort tags exist not to be displayed, but rather to sort the album artist values by that tag value. The program will take those tags and assign them internally to the album artist table (sorting).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Like the field for Albumartist there shouldn&*8217;t be any spaces for any of the sort fields. If you use iTunes for example, where sort is supported for Album, Artist. Albumartist. Title, and Composer, you can make changes there and then view the metadata in dbpoweramp. These will all show no spaces in the tag name.

OK, so its not a special tag, but some software 'out there' can utilise the tag, like iTunes (which I have never used or seen) and maybe others.

For me though, I have nothing that can see or use the added 'Album Artist Sort' tag. However, when I do select something to listen to, the tag holds the info I would use to navigate and select the item to listen to, it mirrors how they are stacked on the shelf.

Using 'Artist' alone lists dozens of artists from compilations etc, or albums from say 'Ray Charles' that have quest artists, I dont go looking for the guest artists. I go for the album artist, on my shelf the order would be 'Charles, Ray'.

So, since I cant use the 'Album Artist Sort' in Asset, for future rips I need to do some manipulation and add my (no spaces) 'AlbumArtistSort' with the content from 'Album Artist Sort' etc.. Which Asset can use with a bit of adjustment to the browse tree.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Like the field for Albumartist there shouldn&*8217;t be any spaces for any of the sort fields. If you use iTunes for example, where sort is supported for Album, Artist. Albumartist. Title, and Composer, you can make changes there and then view the metadata in dbpoweramp. These will all show no spaces in the tag name.
    That depends on the app. I use ALBUM ARTIST with a space because it's the original standard (for Vorbis comments at least) which Asset always supported. Some players broke the standard and started to use ALBUMARTIST instead, so eventually Asset had to support both. For sorting tags, I think Asset still only supports them with spaces, e.g. ALBUM SORT, which is also what I prefer.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
    /... / So, since I cant use the 'Album Artist Sort' in Asset, for future rips I need to do some manipulation and add my (no spaces) 'AlbumArtistSort' /... /
    I wouldn't use the existing variants of the sorting tags for custom purposes, cause you never know what apps you might use in the future. And who knows, Asset might even start supporting ALBUMARTISTSORT (no spaces) at some point. So I would try to find an alternative, perhaps ALBUM ARTIST ORDER to make it your own custom tag.
    Last edited by vilsen; 10-02-2022 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    I wouldn't use the existing variants of the sorting tags for custom purposes, cause you never know what apps you might use in the future. And who knows, Asset might even start supporting ALBUMARTISTSORT (no spaces) at some point. So I would try to find an alternative, perhaps ALBUM ARTIST ORDER to make it your own custom tag.
    Agree, I suggested 'albumartistsort' 'cos it resembles the original inserted by the ripper. But any custom name to copy the data from the original tag would suffice (even MySortOrder) and then amend the browse table in Asset to suit. Good thing here is the vorbis tags are easy to munge, add and remove.

I just feel it would be better for Asset to support the tags inserted at rip time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    That depends on the app. I use ALBUM ARTIST with a space because it's the original standard (for Vorbis comments at least) which Asset always supported. Some players broke the standard and started to use ALBUMARTIST instead, so eventually Asset had to support both. For sorting tags, I think Asset still only supports them with spaces, e.g. ALBUM SORT, which is also what I prefer.
    AssetUPnP already supports ALBUMARTISTSORT - at least for sorting, I haven't tried to display it directly.

I haven't actually seen the Album Artist tag defined in any standard, but I have seen Source Artist with a space so I assume if Album Artist were to be defined it would probably be defined with a space, but having said that, when I started ripping CDs I looked around and found that ALBUMARTIST and ALBUMARTISTSORT to be the tags with much greater support.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping
    https://docs.mp3tag.de/mapping/
    https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/...g_mapping.html
    https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
    https://minimserver.com/ug-library.html

The forum software seems to convert the hash character to * so mangles URLs, so I haven't been able to link you to the exact section.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    AssetUPnP already supports ALBUMARTISTSORT - at least for sorting, I haven't tried to display it directly.
    You are correct, and also ALBUMSORT works. The latter must be a change since R7 (although it's not mentioned in the version changes). And I realise that ALBUMARTISTSORT probably has been supported just as long as ALBUMARTIST itself.

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    I haven't actually seen the Album Artist tag defined in any standard
    I don't know who was or will be the first to claim and put a standard in writing, but ALBUM ARTIST (with a space) was the first de facto standard for FLAC at least. Not that it matters much, I was only trying to explain that there is no standard presently, so one can use what suits oneself and one's apps.