title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: various sorts of missing tracks.

various sorts of missing tracks.

When I rip a disk I put the disk in the computer drivee and a listing of the tracks shows up and the ripper goes off looking for names for them. Except sometimes tracks will be missing. There will be 14 tracks on the disk but only 12 are listed. I can play and listen to them all on the computer but from the outset the ripper doesn't recognize that they exist. Huh?

Another problem is that I have some disks that have multiple tracks with the same name. The music in those tracks is quite different but the track names are the same. When I do the rip only one of the tracks showss up in the output folder. I am hoping that numbering the tracks with a number in front of the track indicating it's position on the disk will avoid duplicate name problems. (per my earlier question today). Is this the best course.

As always, Thanks!

jon

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: various sorts of missing tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sterling View Post
    When I rip a disk I put the disk in the computer drivee and a listing of the tracks shows up and the ripper goes off looking for names for them. Except sometimes tracks will be missing. There will be 14 tracks on the disk but only 12 are listed. I can play and listen to them all on the computer but from the outset the ripper doesn't recognize that they exist. Huh?

Another problem is that I have some disks that have multiple tracks with the same name. The music in those tracks is quite different but the track names are the same. When I do the rip only one of the tracks showss up in the output folder. I am hoping that numbering the tracks with a number in front of the track indicating it's position on the disk will avoid duplicate name problems. (per my earlier question today). Is this the best course.

As always, Thanks!

jon

I've never seen the first problem in ripping over 5000 CDs. Regarding the second question, yes, you always want to include the track number as part of the file name. This way you could have two songs with same name but won't overwrite each other. Example,

12 - Subterranean Homesick Blues
    13 - Subterranean Homesick Blues

With the track number in dynamic naming ([track] - [title]), you'll get unique file names.

dBpoweramp Guru

So it's not just the metadata missing, it's the tracks themselves? Interesting. Could you post a screenshot of it in CD Ripper and then maybe an equivalent in EAC/Cue Ripper e.t.c.?

Another problem is that I have some disks that have multiple tracks with the same name.
    Are you talking about the situation where one track might be the studio version and another might be a remix/Live/accoustic e.t.c.? If it's not that can you give an example as I've not encountered that before - although I name my files [discnumber].[tracknumber] so it wouldn't have shown itself as a problem anyway.
    Last edited by simbun; 09-10-2022 at 05:23 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

are these missing tracks random (that is maybe track 2 and track 8). Or are they the last tracks on the CD. If the latter, maybe you're not scrolling down to see these tracks on your ripper screen?

Good guess. But big-ish monitor and small program window (I need to fit 2 side by side). I found the missing tracks. The back of the box has a track list and I count 14. But going to take a pic to post I had to dig the thick little book out. Track list in that too, but it shows that 2 of the tracks are sub tracks of a third. So the machines are reading the bundle and coming up 2 tracks short. The folder where the rips went is also short the two track names. The music is there just not the names. I put a txt file in the folder with a note.

The previous album to this one is the jewel with three tracks with the same name. They are all studio recordings, same vocalists (Hilliard Ensamble) but there are subtle differences that reveal they are individual takes. The jazz sax riff ( Jan Garbarek) over the vocals is quite different on each. I will try the numbering to resolve that as suggested above. But forgive me for being so dense but is [tracknumber] the same thing as [track] and does (foo) do the same thing as ([foo])?

Still don't know how to kill leading "The" on root folder (the outermost one)..

thanks again.

jon

dBpoweramp Guru

I found the missing tracks. The back of the box has a track list and I count 14. But going to take a pic to post I had to dig the thick little book out. Track list in that too, but it shows that 2 of the tracks are sub tracks of a third. So the machines are reading the bundle and coming up 2 tracks short. The folder where the rips went is also short the two track names. The music is there just not the names. I put a txt file in the folder with a note.
    It sounds like you have a track that uses multiple index markers. If you were creating CUE sheets as part of your rip you'd see something like:
    Code:
      TRACK 06 AUDIO
        INDEX 00 28:18:67
        INDEX 01 28:21:62
        INDEX 02 32:09:57
    I haven't seen it used in years, but it was quite typical in the 80's and 90's.

I actually split those tracks out into their respective indexes so I can better see the track name when playing the music, but it's a little more involved than most people will care for.
    Genesis Foxtrot is a good example here. I break out track 6 so in my control point it looks like:
    Foxtrot.jpg FoxtrotIndexes.jpg

But forgive me for being so dense but is [tracknumber] the same thing as [track] and does (foo) do the same thing as ([foo])?
    Sorry, in dBpoweramp [track] is the correct one to use, I'm just used to typing in the FLAC tag names. You don't need the () brackets.

Still don't know how to kill leading "The" on root folder (the outermost one)..
    I don't know how to remove 'The' from just the beginning of a string, the best I can come up with is by using the [album artist sort] tag (which will convert 'The Beatles' into 'Beatles, The') and then using '[REPLACE]<comma_> The,,[tag]album artist sort[][]' which will remove ', The' (comma space The), which should be less likely to crop up in the middle of a string.

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    It sounds like you have a track that uses multiple index markers. If you were creating CUE sheets as part of your rip you'd see something like:
    Code:
      TRACK 06 AUDIO
        INDEX 00 28:18:67
        INDEX 01 28:21:62
        INDEX 02 32:09:57
    I haven't seen it used in years, but it was quite typical in the 80's and 90's.

I actually split those tracks out into their respective indexes so I can better see the track name when playing the music, but it's a little more involved than most people will care for.
    Genesis Foxtrot is a good example here. I break out track 6 so in my control point it looks like:
    Foxtrot.jpg FoxtrotIndexes.jpg

Sorry, in dBpoweramp [track] is the correct one to use, I'm just used to typing in the FLAC tag names. You don't need the () brackets.

I don't know how to remove 'The' from just the beginning of a string, the best I can come up with is by using the [album artist sort] tag (which will convert 'The Beatles' into 'Beatles, The') and then using '[REPLACE]<comma_> The,,[tag]album artist sort[][]' which will remove ', The' (comma space The), which should be less likely to crop up in the middle of a string.
    Thanks Simbum. The album is Officium Novum circa 2010. I respect the artists highly and want to leave everything as is; this is a disk I play in its' entirety, always. Also I don't know what a cue sheet is or what one is used for.

Appreciate the tip on the leading "The". I am looking at a different sort of solution but my last post in that thread hasn't shown up so I'll leave it be.

Thanks again.

jon