title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Another dynamic (?) naming problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another dynamic (?) naming problem

Two part problem: I had part 1 figured out but in the course of trying to solve part 2 I lost my solution. I seem to mrecall it involved doing settings in 3 different places (that is, the shotgun approach). I wiwh to supress a leading "the" at the root folder. So "the rolling stones" would render as simply "rolling stones". Moving the "the" to the end will, at this point, create duplicate foloders.

The newer problem (two) is I need to number the tracks as 01 artist album song for each track no matter where the tracks are on the disk. So if I rip the first, third and fifth track the numbers would be 01, 03 and 05. But I'm no code warrior and the instructions on the dynamic renaming are greek to me. My experiments (as instructed) have made some large messes. A list of the commands and what they mean and do would be helpful but is not to be found.

Third problem needs its' own thread but for the moment can anyone help me on these two?

Thanks!

jon

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Another dynamic (?) naming problem

help on naming commands:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/help/dmc/Naming.htm

not sure on first issue. But second issue should simply work with no special settings. If you rip tracks from a CD properly, they already have the metadata field for track number included (and title, album name, etc.). So in dynamic naming, using [track] should write that correct track number as part of your file name.

dBpoweramp Guru

regarding issue *1, you'll need to make sure you add albumartistsort tag when ripping, then use this in the naming process. See post 9 at this thread and his linked post.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post211616

Cannot get rid of the leading The like it used to work (and I never touched the naming). I get endless bizzare results: "the' removed from the track name, tht string "the" removed from the middle of words. Code printing out instead of tracknames. And on and on. Read the documentation page again on dynamic naming and it was just as useless as the other times I have read it. I can't count the symbols, words and syntax that go unexplained and are far more obscure to a non-programmer than a programmr might imagine. . And that line about running experiments reveals someone doesn't know the math of permutations and combinations.

I really appreciate the help but no one, it seems, can just give me the code string that does it. So rather than beating my head against a wall and bugging y'all I'll get on with the work. I can do it faster manually than messing with this. Yes I am more than a little annoyed. I didn't have to buy this thing. I could have used it forever for free...and now I am regretting my decision. Today alone I have burned more time trying to get it working than getting many, many days of work done....doing it manually.

Reading through the forum, and I have a fair amount, I see other people coming to high degrees of frustration too.

dBpoweramp Guru

Most people that use this program use it trouble free (I know lots of them as I recommend this to others). Obviously, support forums mostly contain questions and problems. This is not a social forum where we just hang out and chat about music. In the past, me and others (and we are all just users like you that like to help) have spent lots of time helping new users figure out ripping, tagging, naming conventions, etc. And in virtually all cases after some help and feedback, these new users had everything set to their liking. And that's the key, once the ripping/tagging/naming settings are setup to suit one's preferences, one doesn't have to think about those things again. I was a new user once, and there was a learning curve. But once I got everything squared away, I could simply rip away without touching a single setting. I've ripped over 5,000 CDs since then with no issues or questions.

Remind us exactly how you'd like your folders/subfolders and file names to be created and I'll take a stab at creating a dynamic naming string. Address how you want compilations (various artists), multidisk sets, etc. treated as well, as this matters too. And are you on Windows or Mac?
    Last edited by garym; 09-11-2022 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Most people that use this program use it trouble free (I know lots of them as I recommend this to others). Obviously, support forums mostly contain questions and problems. This is not a social forum where we just hang out and chat about music. In the past, me and others (and we are all just users like you that like to help) have spent lots of time helping new users figure out ripping, tagging, naming conventions, etc. And in virtually all cases after some help and feedback, these new users had everything set to their liking. And that's the key, once the ripping/tagging/naming settings are setup to suit one's preferences, one doesn't have to think about those things again. I was a new user once, and there was a learning curve. But once I got everything squared away, I could simply rip away without touching a single setting. I've ripped over 5,000 CDs since then with no issues or questions.

Remind us exactly how you'd like your folders/subfolders and file names to be created and I'll take a stab at creating a dynamic naming string. Address how you want compilations (various artists), multidisk sets, etc. treated as well, as this matters too. And are you on Windows or Mac?
    I looked deeper into matters. My attempts to search the forum have been fruitless. A large part of my frustration is that the thing was working just fine except for the numbers and then whatever I had done (and not with naming) to supress leading "the"s stopped working. Took a few disks to discover this and then I had to do a bunch of cleanup. I thought I did something with the settings to supress prohimited characters. But I can't reproduce whatever I did. I also have a vauge memory of some instruction in the documentation on how to do exactly this with some setting. Can't find it again.

I have found many of your posts through the years and they are helpful;. I saved two posts from others that give some more guidance. (hint people: use Google). This is what I have saved (edited for brevity):

"... 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM*9
    EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru

Postsf
    Re: Help with understanding File Naming
    [IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[artist]\ [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] [track] [title][]

Im no programer, but the naming scheme is really not the easiest thing to get when you first look at it. Its easier when you realize that its nested arguments (correct term?)

So the first part:

[IFCOMP] or [IFMULTI] or whatever, opens a command that is not closed until there is a []

Sothis:
    [IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][]

Actually has 3 nested commands

[IFCOMP]....[]

and inside that is:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]

and:

[IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]

[IFCOMP]....[]
    Means that if the disc is a compilation use this part

Then it moves to the next nexted command inside the [IFCOMP]....[]:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]

The [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
    will add the following text (if its a multi disc set):
    Disc **

If you change the "Disc" text to anything it will simply be displayed as whatever text you change it to."

"schmidj
    dBpoweramp Guru

<snip>

Basically the [] serves as what we call a delimiter. It appears following commands in the string editor which require one or more expressions as input (following the command) to tell the parser (the part of the string editor which separates the commands) when the input for that command has ended. Since one can nest commands (as is done in your naming string}, if there is a [] after the first command before the second one, they are not nested but run consecutively in forming the string. If there is no [] before the second command the commands are nested and the second command executes as controlled by the first command. Then there might well be a [][] after the input for the second command to tell the parser that both commands have ended.

In the specific question you have asked from your string, [disc][]. will put a period (.) at that point (before the track number) whether or not you have a multi disc album (which you probably don't want) but [disc].[]will only put the period there after the disc number before the track number if it is a multi-disc album, so you will get [disc].[track] (such as 2.03 for disc 2 track 3) but only if it is a multi-disc album, which I assume is what you want.

This string editor is quite powerful, as you can see."

So far so good. But then how to tell what is a command, what is an argument and what is a variable and then what is with the commas?

So in the default:

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

[MAXLENGTH] Opens with the MAXLENGTH comand followed by the variable 80. So it is testing the string length up front. Dunno what the comma does.

This is followed by the command [IFVALUE]album artist where the command IFVALUE takes the argument album artist drawn from a tag. Another mysterious comma and then [album artist] Which I gather is a variable again drawn from a tag but the [ and ] symbols mean print the tag value to the output name?

Then another comma and the command [IFCOMP] which is the command to test for a tag declaring a compilation and if found doing "various artists"? so is that various artists a command, argument or variable? Next a [] delimiter closes the command.

Next the command [IF!COMP] tests for not a compilation [artist] bit which I am guessing prints the value of the artist tag. Then three delimiters closing the whole mess. (things look different in notepad when you work the code vertically using tabs to show the nesting)

a slash makes the next folder down, the size test again then the album name and a delimiter.

a slash to nest another folder, size test then print track, artist, a dash to make it pretty and title last followed by a delimiter for that stretch.

turning this: [MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][] into this [MAXLENGTH]80,[artist] [track] - [title][] should number the tracks. Windows does not order tracks by the tag values but by the leading number or letter of a filename.

There is a setting in the menus to move the leading "the" to the end. Didn't have to do it before and I will be adding more discs of bands already in the library so if the root folder has a different name I get duplicate folders. I just want it to work like it did before.

Working with compilations is fine using the default naming. I often touch up the various values in the ripper before ripping. I seldom want more than a few tracks. I only have a few multi disk sets and where I am picking out tracks I just let the ripper assign the disk number and dump them all in a folder the manually assemble the tracks in one sub-folder and ditch the empties. Where I do rip full disks of a multi disc set the data bases again do the disk numbers and it's all tidy. This was the big attraction for me of Db, assembling and naming the folders in the libraries. The Accurip is a minor annoyance because it won't let the tray open if there is an error I don't care about and do know about. So open the freakin' tray so I can check the disk!

Most of the library is organized alpha but some is by producer and artist (Jan Garbarek and Manfred Eicher stand out). Not available in the tags. My player only reads album and track name and the way I actually use it all the tag get erased

I couldn't get the replace command to work to remove a leading "the". . Syntax doesn't make sense. Something is missing and I suspect it is a different font to lend clarity.

I work in a modified Win10 on the ripping machine and Ubuntu on the web wandering laptop. I have minor ability with the command line on either but I know you can't just go throwing commas around without knowing what they do and linux is funny about capital letters.

Again I appreciate your efforts and thanks for putting up with me.