title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File

Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File

All of a sudden I get the following error on a lot of files: "Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File". What does the error "Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File" mean? Is this a corrupt file? It's different from "md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt. for source file:".

Cheers,
    Dennis.

Administrator

Re: Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File

It means the file is so corrupted no data can be decoded.

So this means I need to re-rip the 144 files mentioned in the log files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by verypsb View Post
    So this means I need to re-rip the 144 files mentioned in the log files.
    I take it that means you don't have a backup?
    How long has it been since you've accessed these files be it for listening, converting, tagging etc as that's a lot of files to have suffered from data corruption all at once, unless there's something else going on; do you recognise any pattern to the files e.g. were they recently edited?

If there are any FLAC files that you weren't synching it might be worth performing a TEST CONVERSION in Music Converter against them.

I backup daily, but lost some recent backups, around the same time TuneFUSION started complaining about corrupt files. That's Murphy's Law for you. However , I found a two month old backup, restored the files and don't get the results I would expect. The same files are still corrupted according to TuneFUSION.
    During these two months TuneFUSION synchronized those files weekly and started complaining just last week. Why didn't TuneFUSION complain some two months earlier if these files are corrupted?
    I don't see any pattern in the files that are corrupted according to TuneFUSION. Another tool, ROON, does analyze the same files and doesn't seem to have a problem with them. Some files were probably played recently, other files weren't played in a long time. What am I missing?
    Last edited by verypsb; 08-25-2022 at 04:57 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by verypsb View Post
    I backup daily, but lost some recent backups, around the same time TuneFUSION started complaining about corrupt files. That's Murphy's Law for you. However , I found a two month old backup, restored the files and don't get the results I would expect. The same files are still corrupted according to TuneFUSION.
    During these two months TuneFUSION synchronized those files weekly and started complaining just last week. Why didn't TuneFUSION complain some two months earlier if these files are corrupted?
    I don't see any pattern in the files that are corrupted according to TuneFUSION. Another tool, ROON, does analyze the same files and doesn't seem to have a problem with them. Some files were probably played recently, other files weren't played in a long time. What am I missing?
    I'd try verifying them individually.

Assuming you're on Windows download flac, extract it, then copy the 'flac-1.3.4-win\win64\flac.exe' into a new folder where you'll test some of your flacs.
    Copy some of the failed flac files into that directory and then open a command prompt and go to the directory where you placed those files.
    Then run 'flac -t nameofflac.flac' and check the results.

If you're on Linux 'sudo apt install flac' - assuming you're on a debian based distro.

Here's a more detailed guide and alternatives.
    Last edited by simbun; 08-25-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Hey @simbun,

I took your and randomly checked some files listed by TuneFUSION as corrupted. The flac.exe test reports the same error(s) as TuneFUSION. I moved my storage to another disk somewhere in the last two months and I probably used the backup to do this. This will explain the corruption in my files. This doesn't explain why it took TuneFUSION so long to notice the corruption. TuneFUSION started complaining after I changed the source location, resulting in a complete resync.

Administrator

Tunefusion would not need to read the source files unless actively syncing it.

I think it's safe to say that TuneFUSION is good at detecting file corruption. Is it possible to schedule a "full" or "initial" synchronization periodically? To notice corrupted files earlier? Or is there another tool (Windows) I can use for scheduled testing of my music files (99% .flac)?

dBpoweramp Guru

You can simply use dbpoweramp music converter (batch converter) and select your top music folder (assuming all the music files are in subfolders to this top folder), and in Batch Converter, select "CONVERT", then for the DSP/CODEC dropdown menu, select TEST CONVERSION. This will check all your files and report if any are corrupted. It works particularly well for FLAC files, as it compares the embedded audio checksum to the calculated checksum when running TEST CONVERSION.

Would it possible to use command line + task scheduler to exetue this task?