title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset 7.4 on QNAP working strange after Firmware update to 5.0.0.2131

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset 7.4 on QNAP working strange after Firmware update to 5.0.0.2131

I just updated my QNAP 251 to firmware 5.0.0.2131.
    NOW Asset 7.4 does not work properly. It cannot get opened in the AppCenter any more, the configuration side does not open as usual in the browser, just a spinner who never stops.

That's just one thing. What changed using Asset is the behaviour on Albums with multiple CDs. I always told Asset to handle these Albums as ONE CD, so there was only one cover visable. Now a Double-CD has two times the cover, an album with 3 CDs has three times the cover and so on. The option is still checked in the configuration ! BTW the CDs are then tagged with CD 1 of 2 / 2 of 2 and so on.
    This worked fine for years now, but it doesn't work any more without making any changes. [What I mean in configuration : "Multi-Disc Album" --> "Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One"]

Any idea ?

Can I easily go back to 7.3 ? All the problems began with the update to 7.4 .....

Re: Asset 7.4 on QNAP working strange after Firmware update to 5.0.0.2131

Hi, I recently updated my TS-251+ with the latest Qnap firmware and Asset 7.4 seems to be running okay on my NAS.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, the most obvious problem since 7.4 is the behaviour of the setting "Multi-Disc Album" --> "Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One"
    The result is NOT what it should be or what it was over the years.... A Double-CD now is shown as TWO discs ! Of course they are tagged identically, with the exception of the disc-Number, which is set to "1" and "2".
    What can I do...? I NEED this setting for Multi-Disc Albums.... and they must be shown as ONE.
    Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by candyman09 View Post
    Well, the most obvious problem since 7.4 is the behaviour of the setting "Multi-Disc Album" --> "Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One"
    I have this setting and multi-disc albums are appearing as one. The only time they didn't it turned out that I had inconsistent album artist tag information in the tracks for the multi-disc album. After fixing the tags the albums appeared correctly.

Is Asset really displaying both CDs separately or is it just a few tracks appearing as a separate entry, which was my problem?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne for replying,

but no, the tags are all consistant and Asset is really displaying both CDs separately, not just a few tracks.

It was working quite well for years now, and the problem appeared immediately after updating.

What format are your audio files and/or which tag versions are you using?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Audio files are all in FLAC, the tag versions are ID3v2.3 / ID3v1 using TagScanner 6.1.13

dBpoweramp Guru

Audio files are all in FLAC, the tag versions are ID3v2.3 / ID3v1 using TagScanner 6.1.13
    ID3 is a tag format commonly used for MP3, Vorbis Comments is the standard tagging format for FLAC. If you wanted to check, open your files in Mp3tag and look at the Tag column in the main UI, it should say 'FLAC (FLAC)'.

In your first post you state that you just updated the QNAP firmware, then also that Asset 7.4 is the reason for the problem, was 7.4 working pre firmware upgrade?
    Given you're not getting any support from illustrate, the easiest thing might be to reinstall 7.4, and if that doesn't work then install 7.3. My guess would be that configuration data persists, but make sure you've noted down any configuration changes you've made just in case.

Administrator

ID3v2 is not the correct format for FLAC files, you would need Vorbis comments.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    ID3 is a tag format commonly used for MP3, Vorbis Comments is the standard tagging format for FLAC. If you wanted to check, open your files in Mp3tag and look at the Tag column in the main UI, it should say 'FLAC (FLAC)'. ...
    I did so and the Tag column says "FLAC(FLAC)" ! So I guess that TagScanner (and Mp3tag) automatically is using Vorbis. (?)

dBpoweramp Guru

I did so and the Tag column says "FLAC(FLAC)" ! So I guess that TagScanner (and Mp3tag) automatically is using Vorbis. (?)
    I think it's the only tag format that's supported for FLAC, so yes any tagger should be using Vorbis Comments.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, I finally SOLVED this problem now simply by returning to Asset 7.3 !!
    In AppCenter I uninstalled Asset 7.4 and re-installed 7.3 manually. Happy that I kept this version in my downloads.... :-)
    NOW everything is fine again !

This was the only way to get Asset to combine Multi-Disc albums as One ! 7.4 did NOT so, whatever I tried,
    I hope that in future versions this will be fixed....
    Thank you !

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback regarding multi disc albums.

This is a side effect of a new behavior/option - "album defined by folder". Turning this feature OFF in R7.4 should prevent unwanted album splitting for you.
    This was also fixed in R7.5-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Mac-R7-5-beta
    ... which will be made available as the new stable release shortly.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    ... This is a side effect of a new behavior/option - "album defined by folder". Turning this feature OFF in R7.4 should prevent unwanted album splitting for you.
    This was also fixed in R7.5-
    Thanks @PeterP for this information ! I'm glad and thankful that this will be fixed in R7.5 !

Anybody knows what the option "album defined by folder" should do exactly ?

Super Moderator

"Album defined by folder" was meant to treat files in different folders as separate albums regardless of tagging, to work around badly or incompletely tagged albums being shown as one.

It was enabled by default in R7.4 and toned down in R7.5. You can just turn it off and restore the old behavior.