title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Help Request: Setup Errors and Strange Results from New ASUS BW-16D1X-U

Help Request: Setup Errors and Strange Results from New ASUS BW-16D1X-U

Well, I'm feeling a bit stupid today. Hopefully someone can help me figure my way out of the confusion.

I have a new ASUS BW-16D1X-U that I've been setting up. I. think my settings are accurate (other than feeding in a simulated screwed up disc for AccurateRip setup, which I don't have one to sacrifice at the moment).

Searching the forums, I've seen a small number of references to this drive. But it seems there might be some funky things up with the offset.

Initially, the database was apparently giving people a +667, with users seeing +6 from key discs. in November, 2020 Spoon mentioned the drive would be purged from the database to allow it to be correctly configured.

You can see some examples of the issues in these two threads, the latest being April, 2022:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ght=BW-16D1X-U
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ght=BW-16D1X-U

On one disc I tried, it gave the following on every track:
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 26, Using Pressing Offset +6
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 3, Using Pressing Offset -6

On the next disc, every track had this offset, with confidence number varying slightly for obvious reasons:
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 46, Using Pressing Offset +670
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 31, Using Pressing Offset +680
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 14, Using Pressing Offset +6

I guess I'm supposed to just keeping feeding the beast until it figures it out? But It didn't match to anything in the database. That first disc I mentioned is clipping the ends of songs slightly, in multiple players. The second disc has nearly 10 seconds of silence at the end of tracks.

The strange thing is that both of those results rendered accurate tracks, as you can see above. How can it get an Accurate score over '1' if it's clipping the end of the track off?

My sleep-deprived conclusion is that neither 6 or 667 sound like they would be appropriate for the drive then?

No DSP effects added, and I'm being (intentionally) wasteful and have it set as FLAC Uncompressed. If any other settings need to be confirmed, let me know.

It's been several years since I used any of the dBpoweramp-related suite of products, and I'm now using the latest builds. My previous primary external drive never encountered this issue.

Any of you with more synapses firing than me (which will probably be all of you) please help this confused guy out. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, for the last ~100 consecutive days, taking care of a family member on hospice has left me a bit mentally fried.

Thanks in advance! It is very much appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Help Request: Setup Errors and Strange Results from New ASUS BW-16D1X-U

Yes keep feeding CDs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MusicArchivist View Post
    Initially, the database was apparently giving people a +667, with users seeing +6 from key discs. in November, 2020 Spoon mentioned the drive would be purged from the database to allow it to be correctly configured.

On one disc I tried, it gave the following on every track:
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 26, Using Pressing Offset +6
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 3, Using Pressing Offset -6

On the next disc, every track had this offset, with confidence number varying slightly for obvious reasons:
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 46, Using Pressing Offset +670
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 31, Using Pressing Offset +680
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 14, Using Pressing Offset +6
    Given there's only one offset in common between the two discs I assume it's going to be +6, but I guess you have to let CD Ripper work that out for itself :-)

I guess I'm supposed to just keeping feeding the beast until it figures it out? But It didn't match to anything in the database. That first disc I mentioned is clipping the ends of songs slightly, in multiple players. The second disc has nearly 10 seconds of silence at the end of tracks.
    Offsets are measured in samples so an offset of 6 is only 6/44100 of a second, even if those samples did contain audio I doubt it'd be audible, so any clipping must be due to something post rip (because the rip verifies).

The strange thing is that both of those results rendered accurate tracks, as you can see above. How can it get an Accurate score over '1' if it's clipping the end of the track off?
    The reason your rip matches is because at the absolute worst case your rip is 667 samples out (probably 6) and AccurateRip doesn't use the first 2939 or the last 2940 samples in its calculation - assuming that document is correct.

Please tell me you were eventually able to get it working? I am on CD 30 right now and still no luck. Also the +6 message