title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are dumb questions tolerated here?

Are dumb questions tolerated here?

It's been ages since I've messed with music management software.

If I use the dBpoweramp CD Ripper to move my music from CDs to a Macbook, can I open those files with other software or will I need to always use dBpoweramp?

Sorry for being such a noob.

Bill

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Are dumb questions tolerated here?

dBpoweramp is not a music management software. It is a set of tools for ripping CDs and converting music files into different codecs. The resulting music files are universal, can be transferred between different computers and devices and can be played as long as the player supports the specific audio codec.

Dat Ei

Okay thanks. I'm starting to feel like my mom when she tries to program the VCR.

So where do the files go, and how are they organized? Which file type would be best, assuming storage isn't an issue? Is there a specific music management software that this board tends to recommend? Or perhaps better yet, is there a combo ripper/management software that might be more user-friendly to someone like myself who likes to keep things simple?

I really appreciate y'all's patience.

Bill

dBpoweramp Guru

I assume you use a Mac. Where do you want to play these files? Your home stereo? Your car? both. What digital music player do you want to use. Does your stereo already support playing digital music files? (such as being UpNP capable. Or do you need to attach a streamer to your stereo to "receive" the digital music from your computer. Do you want to send music to multiple places in your home or just one place. If multiple, would you like to be able to play different things to different locations *or* the same thing to multiple locations, or either?

To get started, you can simply plug the headphone out of your Mac to the analog inputs of your stereo and play the songs from the Mac (using the built in iTunes or Music or whatever Apple calls that program now). Even better would be connecting a DAC to the MAC via USB and playing from that DAC to the stereo. EDIT: if you're going to use iTunes/Music app, you'll need to use Apple Lossless as the format of files rather than FLAC. (but there are MAC programs that will use FLAC files, if you use something other than iTunes on the Mac.

I like FLAC lossless files. In my own case, I use Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on an rPi4B to stream music to several endpoints in my house (with each endpoint either being a standalone player with speaker or being connected to my stereo system). I control everything from either a smart phone or my laptop. This is a simple to use setup but there is a learning curve. There is a forum that provides help on this. See:

https://www.picoreplayer.org/
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...t=picoreplayer

This said, there are many ways to achieve this. This product has ASSET, which is a upnp music server. See:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

also review all the links here:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm

Last edited by garym; 08-23-2022 at 08:44 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Going forward, you'll find you get better feedback on the forum if you use specific relevant subject titles. So instead of "Are dumb questions allowed?" you could have used: Help with getting started with music streaming' etc. Make the title clear as to what the message is actually about. thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWolfpacker View Post
    So where do the files go, and how are they organized?
    the files go to your file system. Naming and organisation of the files and folders is very flexible and configured by the users and his preferences. A lot of users prefer to build a hierarchical folder structure starting with a base folder for all music files, then below that a folder with the name of the arstist, then the name of the album and at last the audio files itself.

Which file type would be best, assuming storage isn't an issue?
    It is best to choose a lossless audio codec like flac or alac. Those files will be your archive, which you can convert afterwards into any other audio codec you like, i.e. like mp3 for your car audio system.

Is there a specific music management software that this board tends to recommend? Or perhaps better yet, is there a combo ripper/management software that might be more user-friendly to someone like myself who likes to keep things simple?
    A better ripping software? No, from my point of view there is none. Once you have ripped your archive, it is a question which audio player you like to use, and how the player will allow you to access your audio files (by artist, by album, by song etc. pp.). On my PC I use libreelec, a free software to handle music, videos and movies. On my mobile device I prefer USB Audio Player Pro. Both players use the same files with the same naming and the same metadata. So it is important to rip right once with a plan in mind and then you can enjoy the music.

Dat Ei

I really appreciate y'all's patience.

Bill[/QUOTE]

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm starting to feel like my mom when she tries to program the VCR.

So where do the files go, and how are they organized...

...software that might be more user-friendly to someone like myself who likes to keep things simple?
    Building an audio file library from a CD collection for newbies isn't simple and you will have to accept that there are a few principals that need to be understood. I'd start with the online documentation:

Windows, Apple OS X and Spoon's Audio Guide.

REALLY appreciate the detailed replies.

My main mission here is to preserve/store all of my music in one place. I realize this is an old-school way of doing things and that I have access to all of it anyway via streaming, but whatever. I haven't embarked on a project like this since I dumped everything, compressed, on iTunes 15 years ago.

For playback I intend to plug my MacBook into my receiver, or just use Bluetooth in other situations. Imo DACs are a redundant bit of audiophilia that don't make a huge difference in sound quality. I'm often wrong though.

Again, thank y'all for your willingness to answer such elementary inquiries. I'll be back.

dBpoweramp Guru

For playback I intend to plug my MacBook into my receiver...
    How? What type of output/inputs will you be using?

Imo DACs are a redundant bit of audiophilia that don't make a huge difference in sound quality. I'm often wrong though.
    IMO, you are wrong again on this point

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    IMO, you are wrong again on this point
    Agree with mville (that you are wrong re DACs), but keep in mind that you don't need a $30,000 DAC, or even a $500 DAC. There are some very good quality low cost DACs that can work well with your MAC.

How? What type of output/inputs will you be using?
    USB?

Also, while I have y'all's ear, I purchased the Apple disc drive to do the ripping since I figured, even though it's more expensive and I have to get a USB-C converter, I'd keep it all Apple. Caveats?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Agree with mville (that you are wrong re DACs), but keep in mind that you don't need a $30,000 DAC, or even a $500 DAC. There are some very good quality low cost DACs that can work well with your MAC.
    But the onboard DAC in a Denon receiver isn't terrible, right?

dBpoweramp Guru

But the onboard DAC in a Denon receiver isn't terrible, right?
    Can your player software on the macbook access the Denon DAC directly, i.e. bypassing the Apple OS X dsp path?

Can your player software on the macbook access the Denon DAC directly, i.e. bypassing the Apple OS X dsp path?
    I haven't gotten that far. I'm assuming this is desirable? Any particular software you'd recommend? Is this bypassing also desirable if I'm plugged into a separate DAC?

dBpoweramp Guru

USB?

Also, while I have y'all's ear, I purchased the Apple disc drive to do the ripping since I figured, even though it's more expensive and I have to get a USB-C converter, I'd keep it all Apple. Caveats?

Thanks,

Bill
    The actual optical drive is essentially irrelevant when you're using dbpoweramp. That's the beauty of this program that can do secure rips with accuraterip matching using almost any old cheap optical drive. But the Apple Drive should be fine.
    Last edited by garym; 08-23-2022 at 12:46 PM.