title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PeferctTUNES AccurateRip Network Utilization

PeferctTUNES AccurateRip Network Utilization

Thank you for the great products.

PeferctTUNES AccurateRip is currently listening to my 11,000 track library.

The listening time remaining has been increasing throughout the day (originally four hours, then six, now eight . It is also utilizing less of the network than it was earlier (5-15Mbps now v. 400Mbps earlier). I cannot detect any other device on the network that would prevent the machine that is running PeferctTUNES from utilizing as much of the network as it would need (a speed test from the same machine showed a result of 650Mbps).

Is there anything wrong? If there is, is the anything I can do about it?

Thank you

Re: PeferctTUNES AccurateRip Network Utilization

An update on this:

Moved the folder to the machine that is running PerfectTUNES's hard drive. It completed the process in less than fifteen minutes

I am still wondering about performance over the network. This folder will eventually be moved to a NAS device. I would like to scan it there too.

Thank you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please post some details about your setup i.e. network hardware, PCs, OSes, NAS, Illustrate software versions etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueFan View Post
    I am still wondering about performance over the network. This folder will eventually be moved to a NAS device. I would like to scan it there too.
    I can't knock you for wanting to do this as I used to run a verfication pass every 6 months or so myself to prevent data rot (but my data was local).

Having said that, once your files have been verified, tagged and moved over the network, you should be hashing the files, and then re-hashing every x months and comparing the new hash to the previous. This is MUCH quicker than an AccurateRip verification pass (its a simpler check and it can be run directly on the NAS), will be checking the whole file (not just the audio data but the tags too) and can also be used to validate other files e.g. images.

I can't recommended any tools as I wrote my own in bash (which started out as a basic hash checker then spiralled out of control to perform a load of other checks), but something like this is what you're looking for.
    Last edited by simbun; 07-29-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Thank you for the reply @simbun.

That is exactly what I am looking for, but it is probably a little out of my depth. My next question question may exemplify this: would RAID Scrubbing do something similar?

Thank you @mville.

I'm not using anything special. The machine is a modest pc that is running Windows 11. It is hardwired to a Eero 6 Pro router. The device where the folder is located is also hardwired to the router. It is connected to a sonicTransporter via USB3. The ST and pc run through a 10G switch before the router.

Speeds between the devices are usually 400-600Mbps.

dBpoweramp Guru

What is the size/format of your 11,000 track library?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueFan View Post
    That is exactly what I am looking for, but it is probably a little out of my depth. My next question question may exemplify this: would RAID Scrubbing do something similar?
    If you're using a filesystem like ZFS or BTRFS or have a correctly configured RAID setup that allows for scheduled scrubbing then they should notify you of any data corruption problems. If that setup also includes redundancy then you shouldn't need to rely on a backup either. This assumes that you push the files directly to the NAS once they've been tagged and verfified.

The process I described (hashing) is similar in nature to a scrub, but because I wanted my master collection on Windows my options were limited. From Windows the data gets pushed to a rpi4 for serving as well as an offline backup, which I can also run the hashing process against. This is where it comes in especially handy, because if you lost the data on your NAS (hardware failure, ransomware or just because you accidentally deleted it) how and when did you last verify your backup?

In summary, if you can perform a scrub every 3-6 months then a further AccurateRip pass against the NAS is not necessary (as long as you're running it against the data just before it gets pushed to the NAS).
    All of this assumes you have a backup too of course.

Thanks again for the help and information. It is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What is the size/format of your 11,000 track library?
    Around 500GB. Mostly FLAC (most of them uncompressed). Thank you for your help too!

dBpoweramp Guru

Personally, I'd keep the library local to PeferctTUNES and backup to the NAS.

I also found that PerfectTUNES was way too slow "listening" to files on my NAS. The apparent speed could be improved if it allowed viewing of partial results. That is as new files are scanned they are added to the results viewer rather than having to wait until every file is scanned before any results are available.