title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is there a way to edit a field using the keyboard without erasing what was in it?

Is there a way to edit a field using the keyboard without erasing what was in it?

Sorry for the awkwardly-phrase title; I ran up against the character limit.

Anyway, I have a bunch of files that are tagged with details I would rather omit. Here's a screenshot for reference:
    PerfectTUNES Screenshot.jpg

Notice the [3] after "Little Willie Leaps" in the highlighted field. I want to delete that without deleting the rest of the filename. In any other piece of macOS software (including dBpoweramp Music Converted, when I'm ripping CDs), I can use the arrow keys to go to the end of the selected text, then just hit backspace a few times. However, if I use the right arrow when I have this text selected, it just takes me to the next field over. Every other piece of software I've ever used would use tab to move to the next field, and tab does indeed work here, but the fact that the arrows are duplicating the tab functionality means that I can't figure out how to edit this text without reaching away from the keyboard to move the mouse and click inside the already-selected field.

The only workaround I've found so far is to copy and paste (using the keyboard shortcuts) inside the field, which then allows the arrows to behave as expected. However, this clears out what was in my clipboard, which is very frustrating when I'm trying to paste something into a bunch of fields, for example.

Basically, I'm wondering if there's a way to use the arrow keys to navigate inside the selected text, and just use tab/shift-tab along with the up/down arrows when I want to navigate between all the fields.

Alternatively, if this has not been changed because users might have arrow-key navigation in their muscle memory, could we perhaps have a modifier key attached to the "normal" arrow behavior (i.e. starting from the screenshot above, the right arrow key navigates to the next field, but command+right arrow would put the cursor at the end of the selected text)?

Administrator

Re: Is there a way to edit a field using the keyboard without erasing what was in it?

If you click again in the box after editing has started, does it unselect all the highlighted?

Re: Is there a way to edit a field using the keyboard without erasing what was in it?

Yes, it does. Basically I&*8217;m looking for a keyboard shortcut that accomplishes the same thing as clicking in the field. In every similar piece of software on macOS (e.g. Finder), the right or left arrows would do this.
    Last edited by slamphear; 08-07-2022 at 04:59 PM.

Administrator

Home or end buttons should unselect the highlight, but not all keyboards have it, although it can be triggered by:

https://osxdaily.com/2015/06/17/home...ard-functions/

Thank you for your replies! Unfortunately, I had tried the home/end keys too (both before I wrote the ticket, and now again after your suggestion) and nothing happens when I press them. I'm using an Apple Magic Keyboard 2, which has proper home/end keys (though I also tried with fn+right/left arrows, which also didn't work). Are you able to do this on a Mac? I'm wondering if perhaps it's working on Windows but not on macOS

Super Moderator

Thanks for pointing this out, it's indeed annoying.
    Fixed in R3.2 beta 5-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Mac-R3-2-beta

WOW! Absolutely incredible turnaround here, and it's working brilliantly. I'm now blazing through these tag updates I had been slowly working my way through before. Thank you SO MUCH for this. I'm in shock from the amazing response time here. &*55357;&*56834;