title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Noise in ripped CDs

Thumbs down Noise in ripped CDs

Dear all,
    I have an issue with noise in my ripped CDs. It's difficult to describe... Perhaps it is best compared to the sound of dust on a vinyl record, but not so randomly, but repetitively in a specific pattern. The volume of the noise changes, is stronger and then weaker again.

It's not the drive because this effect doesn't happen with Exact Audio Copy. Since I bought dBpoweramp, I'm urgently looking for a solution to the problem. I thought dBpoweramp is the best CD ripper...

Administrator

Re: Noise in ripped CDs

What are you ripping to? does the rip pass AccurateRip verification? any DSP effects used? what is your player?

I am using a Verbatim External Slimline CD/DVD Writer,USB 3.2 Gen1 and I am ripping to the internal hard drive of my notebook.
    When I rip the CDs on the same hardware with ExactAudioCopy, the effect does not occur.
    Therefore it can't be the hardware, it must be either the software or configuration of dBpoweramp.

dBpoweramp Guru

The simplest thing to do first would be to check the quality of rips of the same CD using both EAC and dBpoweramp.
    As you're on Windows the easiest way to do that is with CUETools.

If you're not sure what they show, paste the output of both scans here.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SuebianWolf View Post
    When I rip the CDs on the same hardware with ExactAudioCopy, the effect does not occur.
    Therefore it can't be the hardware, it must be either the software or configuration of dBpoweramp.
    I can only suggest it would be a configuration issue. You didn't answer the questions from @Spoon. I would guess that given your hardware "works" using the same machine and EAC, that it is very likely a DSP has been applied. A screenshot similar to this with the DSP tab selected can help confirm.
    Screenshot 2022-07-19 141848.png

Sorry if I didn't answer all of Spoon's questions. Probably I did not understand all and so I cannot answer the questions.

1) I installed CueTools and did what it said to do in the manual. But selected the folder with the two flac files and pressed "Go" but nothing did happen, no log file was written. I don't know what I missed to do.

2) about the DSP section: This part was completely empty. So I pressed the button "Add DSP / Action" and added what I could see in your screenshot. Now it looks exactly like in your screenshot but well, it does not show all settings.

What to do next? Is it necessary to have these settings in the DSP section? Do I need more settings than shown in the screenshot?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry if I didn't answer all of Spoon's questions. Probably I did not understand all and so I cannot answer the questions.
    @Spoon just asked if the CD you ripped passed AccurateRip verification, and if you had any DSP applied at that time.

2) about the DSP section: This part was completely empty. So I pressed the button "Add DSP / Action" and added what I could see in your screenshot. Now it looks exactly like in your screenshot but well, it does not show all settings.
    I just added that DSP there to show something for reference. I usually have this area blank, so there is no DSP applied when I rip my music.

What to do next? Is it necessary to have these settings in the DSP section? Do I need more settings than shown in the screenshot?
    I wouldn't suggest putting any DSP in that box if you don't know exactly what you are adding. It is better to keep the file unaltered at this stage. It is strange to have anything like this if you have no DSP applied, and if you received a confirmation that your rip passed AccurateRip. Did you try ripping the same CD again to see if it was something abnormal?

Also, did you use any other software after the rip? Perhaps a converter to change the file type or format? Or edited the metadata tags? Something must have introduced this.

dBpoweramp Guru

1) I installed CueTools and did what it said to do in the manual. But selected the folder with the two flac files and pressed "Go" but nothing did happen, no log file was written. I don't know what I missed to do.
    I just downloaded and followed the instructions myself, and one thing I did notice is that it didn't prompt you to display the log window which will give you an interactive commentary on what it's doing; to do this just click on 'Batch log' at the top of the window.

You should only need to select the folder using the folder browser, select verify and click Go, any parent folder should work. If the batch window doesn't highlight any problems try to attach a screenshot of the window just before you click Go.

Administrator

Upload the two FLAC files to dropbox and supply me a link by personal message on this forum please.

Dear all,
    I have an issue with noise in my ripped CDs. It's difficult to describe... Perhaps it is best compared to the sound of dust on a vinyl record, but not so randomly, but repetitively in a specific pattern. The volume of the noise changes, is stronger and then weaker again.

It's not the drive because this effect doesn't happen with Exact Audio Copy. Since I bought dBpoweramp, I'm urgently looking for a solution to the problem. I thought dBpoweramp is the best CD ripper...
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same external drive... Do you have the solution ?

Regards
    Roi