title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Syncing multi-genre albums

Syncing multi-genre albums

I just discovered TuneFUSION, and I love it! It's made getting music on my phone (and then keeping it up to date as I add new albums) so easy! But I think I might have discovered a bug, or maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

We use a custom "Listener" tag to keep track of which family member wants a given album on their playlist, and when I saw that TuneFUSION supported filtering by Genre, I decided to transfer those Listener values into the Genre tag. So now in TuneFUSION I see three Genre options for Kids, Ree, and Wife. For my phone I select Ree, for my wife's phone I select Wife, etc, and for the last few days I thought this was working perfectly.

But today I went looking for an album on my phone that I know is on my playlist, but I couldn't find it. After investigating a bit, it appears that TuneFUSION has only synced the single-Genre content, so my phone only has items tagged for Ree, and my wife's phone only has items tagged for Wife, but then Ree+Wife, Kids+Ree, and Kids+Ree+Wife are not synced to my phone like I expected.

Is this a bug? Or is multi-genre content not supported? And if it's not supported, can it be? I know one workaround would be to re-tag the files with one compound value(ie Ree+Wife) instead of two individual values, but I'd prefer not to do that if possible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ree; 07-17-2022 at 09:51 PM.

Administrator

Re: Syncing multi-genre albums

Mutli genre should be supported if it is tagged correctly for multi-genre. What are your audio tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Mutli genre should be supported if it is tagged correctly for multi-genre. What are your audio tracks?
    FLAC and MP3. I just double-checked, and there's a mixture of both types that are missing from my phone. Mp3tag reports a few different tag types:

FLAC (FLAC)
    ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)
    ID3v1 (ID3v1 APEv2)
    ID3v2.4 (ID3v1 ID3v2.4 APEv2)
    (there may be other examples for MP3 but I stopped after finding these examples)

To add the genres, I used foobar2000, selected a block of tracks, opened properties, right-clicked the Genre label and clicked Edit, then used ; to separate multiple values as the modal describes (so Ree;Wife for example)

Just following up to say I did a bit more testing and I think I see what's going on.

I created a new track using multi-genre tags of "Test1" and "Test2". When I set my source filtering to include just Test1, or just Test2, it did not sync. But when I set my source filtering to include both Test1 and Test2, the track did sync.

So it appears that a multi-genre track has to have all its tags enabled in source filtering in order to be synced, not just one of its tags.

Is it possible to change that behaviour? It would obviously help my use-case scenario, but I think it makes sense in the standard use-case as well. If a track is tagged with both Rock and Pop, and I only enable Rock in my source filtering, I would expect that track to sync but currently it won't.

Administrator

Will make a note to test this next time looking at TF.

Administrator

Just tested this and I think it relates to 'exclude all' and 'include all'

If on the default view, or 'include all' then unchecking any genre will tell TF to exclude that file if that excluded genre has a match, it does not matter if Genre2 is checked, when Genre1 is unchecked (if the file has both).

Now if 'exclude all' is pressed, now every genre does not have a check, checking either Test1 or Test2 would sync that track because the matching is not on exclusion, rather inclusion.

Just tested this and I think it relates to 'exclude all' and 'include all'

If on the default view, or 'include all' then unchecking any genre will tell TF to exclude that file if that excluded genre has a match, it does not matter if Genre2 is checked, when Genre1 is unchecked (if the file has both).

Now if 'exclude all' is pressed, now every genre does not have a check, checking either Test1 or Test2 would sync that track because the matching is not on exclusion, rather inclusion.
    Ahh, I think I understand now. Going with an example of 1 track tagged Rock, 1 track tagged Rock + Pop, and 1 track tagged as Pop, the behaviour is:

- Click Include All, then un-check Pop, leaving just Rock selected. This will result in 1/3 tracks syncing (the one tagged with just Rock)

- Click Exclude All, then check Rock, leaving just Rock selected. This will result in 2/3 tracks syncing (the one tagged with Rock and the one tagged with Rock + Pop)

Is my understanding correct?

Administrator

Yes