title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: simple iOS control app for controlling ChromeCast access/playback of content?

Re: simple iOS control app for controlling ChromeCast access/playback of content?

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Lumin works with any UPnP music server and any OpenHome renderer, and is purely audio. On the ios side you seem to be quite limited with generic UPnP control points and from what I've heard on other forums Lumin seems to be the best option.

You seem to be making this hard for yourself :-)
    Thanks I&*8217;ll have to take a closer look. It can readily find my assetupnp server. Looks like I have to do something else to get it to see my DLNA renderers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: simple iOS control app for controlling ChromeCast access/playback of content?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
    Thanks I&*8217;ll have to take a closer look. It can readily find my assetupnp server. Looks like I have to do something else to get it to see my DLNA renderers.
    Remember I said that it works with any OpenHome renderer; You'd need to use BubbleUPnP Server to add that functionality to your renderer.

I've just had a look and there's really not many options out there for ios, they seem to be mainly players, but I've just spotted mconnect, have you tried that? I've just spent 5 minutes trying the Android version, and whilst it's no BubbleUPnP it seems to work ok, and identifies Chromecast devices natively (at least on android).

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Remember I said that it works with any OpenHome renderer; You'd need to use BubbleUPnP Server to add that functionality to your renderer.

I've just had a look and there's really not many options out there for ios, they seem to be mainly players, but I've just spotted mconnect, have you tried that? I've just spent 5 minutes trying the Android version, and whilst it's no BubbleUPnP it seems to work ok, and identifies Chromecast devices natively (at least on android).
    Thanks. I misunderstood you. I thought that extra step was necessary for Chromecast but not for a normal dlna client.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
    Thanks. I misunderstood you. I thought that extra step was necessary for Chromecast but not for a normal dlna client.
    The extra step is essential for Chromecast devices to make them DLNA/OpenHome compatible, but the Lumin control point itself only talks to OpenHome renderers (because their hardware is all OpenHome), so if you wanted to use it you'd need to add OpenHome functionality to all your devices.

On the other hand mconnect seems to play nice with DLNA and Chromecast devices (at least on Android), so you wouldn't need any work arounds, it does only appear to use album artwork though, and didn't recognise my OpenHome devices so it's not ideal - although I did only try the free version for 5 minutes.
    On the MinimServer forums I've seen a lot of ios users buying Android phones/tablets just so they can use BubbleUPnP. There are a few tweaks I'd like to see to make it perfect, but it's by far the best control point out there.