title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Setting correction for normalizing album volume

Question Setting correction for normalizing album volume

Hi, I've been attempting to re-rip lossless files which came from older, quieter CDs so the volume is maximised without clipping or any compression, just a simple volume lift per album.

Under DSP effects I have ReplayGain (Apply) set to 'Per Album'.
    Then Volume Normalize with 'Peak to Peak' and 0 dB.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Setting correction for normalizing album volume

Apologies if you already know this, but what is your playback device? It's possible you can just add replaygain tags to your existing files if your player (or server) can apply it for you.
    This would also mean you'd be able to store a bit-perfect rip of the disc, which you won't have if you modify the audio itself (which 'ReplayGain (Apply)' does).

Itunes, but I want to rip these destructively, as it would be described. Permanently lifting of the audio, per album.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...P-Order-Matter

^ ^ ^ This thread is making me wonder if my order has been wrong - for the intended purpose, would it have mattered that my DSP order was:

- ReplayGain (Apply) set to 'Per Album'
    - Then Volume Normalize with 'Peak to Peak' and 0 dB.

I appreciate the assistance with regard to replaygain tags etc on certain devices, but I'm certain that I want to essentially re-encode albums to preserve their internal dynamics and dynamic range, without clipping - a simple level shift to maximise volume per album. I get why some advise against this, but I'm quite certain. Surely I can do this with a few clicks?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by paultma View Post
    I appreciate the assistance with regard to replaygain tags etc on certain devices, but I'm certain that I want to essentially re-encode albums to preserve their internal dynamics and dynamic range, without clipping - a simple level shift to maximise volume per album. I get why some advise against this, but I'm quite certain. Surely I can do this with a few clicks?
    If you want to add the gain permanently, then use the ReplayGain (Apply) (I would use 'per Album' as you indicate to at least maintain the differences as intended between tracks). There should be no reason to then "Normalize" as this is adding a second DSP to achieve effectively the same purpose. Just set the desired level and go. The default is -18dB, but if you are just looking to amplify the base levels, set it to something higher like -10 or even -6dB. But realize you will already be close to clipping dynamically at this point, so most players won't have much headroom if you choose to add EQ into the mix later. There is always a consequence to any changes you make.

So if I had it set that way incorrectly what would be going wrong? I ripped a few quiet CDs with these and it at least appeared like it had done what I wanted it to. Not sure if I need to re-rip or not.

EDIT: I've now tested it without Normalize as an effect and the volume of the new rip did not change at all.
    Last edited by paultma; 07-12-2022 at 06:02 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So if I had it set that way incorrectly what would be going wrong? I ripped a few quiet CDs with these and it at least appeared like it had done what I wanted it to. Not sure if I need to re-rip or not.
    You may not hear any difference using back to back gain DSPs, especially since you are already adding quite a bit to the original levels. But there is much higher risk that you will add extended amounts of digital clipping if both DSPs are applied to an original file with audio that is already higher than others. It’s kind of double jeopardy.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

EDIT: I've now tested it without Normalize as an effect and the volume of the new rip did not change at all.
    I'm not sure if you mean the new rip doesn't sound any louder than the original by just using Replaygain (apply), or if you mean the volume did not increase after the first DSP was applied then layering in the second with the Normalize function.

They are very different in how they work. But both should exhibit a difference from before and after, whether they are each applied on their own, or together (where there should be a cumulative effect). Regardless, I still recommend you only apply one of the two DSPs, just use one baseline file and apply each DSP and save them as separate files. Then you can A/B these to determine which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean the new rip doesn't sound any louder than the original by just using Replaygain (apply), or if you mean the volume did not increase after the first DSP was applied then layering in the second with the Normalize function.

They are very different in how they work. But both should exhibit a difference from before and after, whether they are each applied on their own, or together (where there should be a cumulative effect). Regardless, I still recommend you only apply one of the two DSPs, just use one baseline file and apply each DSP and save them as separate files. Then you can A/B these to determine which you prefer.
    This screenshot is taken from the anazysis (using JRiver Media Centre) of a CD which has plenty of headroom for an overall level-lift - I have checked the other tracks. I applied only ReplayGain (Apply) with the album setting. It looks like there has been a difference, but is negligible.

The first of each two tracks in the CD ripped to flac.
    The second is the AAC after transcode with only DSP ReplayGain (apply) added. It doesn't exactly make the most out of the volume range available. Ideally the highest peak would be the loudest sound without clipping, with the rest of the album being relative. Should this not be easily possible using different settings?