title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Best codec to convert .wma files to in my particular case? (opinions)

Best codec to convert .wma files to in my particular case? (opinions)

Greetings! I've recently inherited a HDD full of (lossy) .wma music files. If I attempt to view them with "Edit ID-Tag", the window comes up displaying: "Contains no ID Tags", with all the metadata fields blank.

My situation is I've been spending the last several years using dBpoweramp/CD Ripper to rip my CD collection to .flac files, meticulously organizing the metadata to my liking. I use JRiver and an Astell & Kern portable for playback.

So what might be the best codec to convert these .wma files to in my situation? Or should I even convert them to begin with? Will I be able to view and manipulate their metadata using "Edit ID-Tags" once converted? Or is the metadata 'imbedded' in these .wma files in a way they can't be manipulated?

Apologize for the nOObishness of this post. Any thoughts and/or considerations on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Administrator

Re: Best codec to convert .wma files to in my particular case? (opinions)

It sounds like there is no associated ID Tags with those WMA files. You should be able to add ID Tags, right click and add them. You are best re-ripping those tracks, rather than converting wma to something else, the quality has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It sounds like there is no associated ID Tags with those WMA files. You should be able to add ID Tags, right click and add them. You are best re-ripping those tracks, rather than converting wma to something else, the quality has been lost.
    Thanks Spoon. Unfortunately I don't have the original source material (CDs) to be able to re-rip (which would be ideal I know). Even though it's lossy, there's some stuff here I really want for my collection.

OK, dumb question: Is there any chance the metadata/ID Tags are somehow 'imbedded' in these .wma files, and, if so, will converting them to a different codec cause them to subsequently *appear* when right-clicking with ID Tags? I'm assuming not, but still have to ask...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Theleb_Kaarna View Post
    OK, dumb question: Is there any chance the metadata/ID Tags are somehow 'imbedded' in these .wma files, and, if so, will converting them to a different codec cause them to subsequently *appear* when right-clicking with ID Tags? I'm assuming not, but still have to ask...
    highly unlikely. You might open them in mp3tag and see if it recognizes any tags. Doubtful, but worth a try. Also, do file/folder names contain any info. If so, there are ways to batch fill tag data from filenames.

dBpoweramp Guru

You might try a service that matches audio fingerprints, like MusicBrainz Picard.