title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Different Artwork for Compilation Albums.

Different Artwork for Compilation Albums.

I have numerous 'Compilation' albums consisting, usually of 'Singles' from various artists.
    I have embedded in the metadata of each track individual artwork. I would like to have a different image for the Album front.
    I have a seperate jpg image of the album front in the folder.
    When i view the album, the image is the first track image and not the album image.
    I have tried to use Album Art from the Perfect Tunes programme with no success.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Different Artwork for Compilation Albums.

Each track file is a single file reference. There is no real concept of an "Album" that gets separate tag info to have it's own image.

I take your point, however, the compilations are made up with original single hit records and as such have their own sleeve cover. When the album is displayed, each track shows its own unique cover. All I am after is that the compilation album front has its own cover. At the moment the album cover is somehow displaying the first tracks image. I dont know if there is a way to correct this within the metadata.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by IdrisRoberts View Post
    I take your point, however, the compilations are made up with original single hit records and as such have their own sleeve cover. When the album is displayed, each track shows its own unique cover. All I am after is that the compilation album front has its own cover. At the moment the album cover is somehow displaying the first tracks image. I dont know if there is a way to correct this within the metadata.
    You could add a second, or third, or fourth plus cover to any of these tracks. Some few players can rotate through these covers as they are being played, however most cannot. Usually when browsing only that first cover is visible, so theoretically that could/should be the "album" cover I guess. There is no distinction between the concept of one cover for browsing as an album and another for when playing each track.

So the direct answer to your question is "No" there isn't an option to do what you asked. But you could potentially find a work-around with the right player. If you are on Windows, MusicBee or Foobar might help.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm not sure it'll help as I assume you're using AssetUPnP, but MinimServer can do this and a lot more to boot.
    If you have an image in the root of your albums files called the same as your album name e.g. 'Abbey Road.jpg' it'll use this when you're browsing your albums, but if you add the albums contents to the queue you'll see the embedded artwork.
    It also allows you different artwork for GROUP and DISCSUBTITLE tags.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    It also allows you different artwork for GROUP and DISCSUBTITLE tags.
    Out of curiosity, could you describe what can be accomplished with those tags please? I don't think they are supported by AssetUPnP. For example, could any of them be used for grouping multiple remasters/editions of the same album together, so that they would be sorted under just a single album cover when browsing?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    Out of curiosity, could you describe what can be accomplished with those tags please? I don't think they are supported by AssetUPnP.
    If you have DISCSUBTITLE populated and are looking at the track listing you'll see a header section that represents the disc and can be used to play/queue up that disc in its entirety. If there's an image stored alongside your music files that's called the same as the discsubtitle tag then the header section will use this image instead of the Album image.

In the attached picture you'll notice that there's an Album image and a different image for subsequent discs.

RayCharles.jpg

The Group tag works in a similar except that in the track listing you'll see a placeholder for the grouped tracks (displaying the text in the group tag) with its custom image (I haven't got one in this instance).
    You can either play/enqueue all or click on it at which point it'll show you the grouped tracks. I think this functionality is mainly used for Classical Works but can be used for any grouping.

It might not be immediately obvious why there's a grouping element in the attached image as it looks like it just applies to a single track, but Track 2 (and 7) on this particular CD is actually broken up into multiple index markers and I prefer to split those up so I can see the track names accurately on the Now Playing screen.

Enigma.jpg

For example, could any of them be used for grouping multiple remasters/editions of the same album together, so that they would be sorted under just a single album cover when browsing?
    No they can't, although there is work underway to implement a grouping level above album (box set) that could possibly be used for this. At the moment the author just mentioned this in passing so I can't give you any estimates on if/when that's likely to happen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the great explanation! Those are neat features which would be nice to have in AssetUPnP.

The Control Point in the pictures, is it BubbleUPnP?

in the track listing you'll see a placeholder for the grouped tracks (displaying the text in the group tag)
    So the text "Enigma" in tracks 2 & 7 is taken from the GROUP tag - and that text could be something else than the artist's name?

No they can't, although there is work underway to implement a grouping level above album (box set) that could possibly be used for this.
    I hope a brilliant solution can see the light of day soon, as it would be highly advantageous for us who keep buying all those new editions of our favourite albums..!

dBpoweramp Guru

The Control Point in the pictures, is it BubbleUPnP?
    I use BubbleUPnP server on a Pi to proxy the renderers so that the queueing (and track advance) is held off device, and it just seems to work better with the matching control point.

So the text "Enigma" in tracks 2 & 7 is taken from the GROUP tag - and that text could be something else than the artist's name?
    To enable this functionality MinimServer actually sends to the control point an album object, so "Principles of Lust" is in the GROUP tag, and Engima is from the AlbumArtist tag. If you drill through (see attached image) you'll see the actual track names and track artists (BubbleUPnP only displays them if they differ from the AlbumArtist). Group.jpg

I hope a brilliant solution can see the light of day soon, as it would be highly advantageous for us who keep buying all those new editions of our favourite albums..!
    I guess if you REALLY wanted to do it you could set the Album to be 'Innervisions' and then set the DISCSUBTITLE's as 'Innervisions (Audio Fidelity)', 'Innervisions (MFSL)', 'Innervisions (SHM-CD)' e.t.c., but that's a little too messy for me. They're just examples by the way ;-)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes that would be somewhat messy. It would suit much better with a "ALBUM MASTER TITLE" concept with a grouping level above album. But I think if Asset would support DISCSUBTITLE I would be using it anyway, because having no solution at all for multiple album editions is messy too.

Great example, that's a lovely album.

Administrator

Asset should be able to handle this, any match in:

AssetUserUpstreamImages

Will replace the artwork, this folder is in the main configuration folder.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That looks promising, Spoon. I'm on vacation but will certainly try it when I get home.