title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReplayGain (Track gain) for dummies (ME!!!)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ReplayGain (Track gain) for dummies (ME!!!)

Hello and please excuse this thread as I am sure this subject has been covered multiple times.
    However, you have not seen the likes of me yet (the for Dummies part!!!)

Most of you have knowledge of terms, where to put scripts, etc. but I am an idiot!!!
    If I might indulge some kind soul for mercy, is there a step by step method for what I want to do?

While we are at the end of the CD age, I still send CD's to people and want to do best of playlists
    and burn them to CD's with the volume as close to the same as possible.

I don't know the benefits of batch converting 300 files in batch converter, vs doing the same thing in just regular convert files in the regular dbpoweramp.

Based on my learn as I go comments I have tried to pick up here, this is what I have been doing.

I have chosen 3 DSP's

Right click convert to wav with bit depth set to 32 bit float (I have read if manipulating volume you have to do this with 32 bit float, although the settings available are 32 bit or 32 bit IEEE float (i have no idea what the IEEE is, but since that is the only option with the float word, that is what I was choosing.

Then, second DSP is volume normalize using either ReplayGain Track gain set to either -6.6 or -7.5 (I use MediaMonkey and those numbers are what I see when I analyze volume.

Then the 3rd DSP is bit depth again to take back down to 16 (I have not manually increased bit rate or depth because I was assuming using the 32 bit float does that automatically, so I need to bring it back down, and was told use triangular dither back to 16.

I'M USING CAPITAL LETTERS NOT TO SCREAM, BUT TO HIGHLIGHT I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS FORUM AND LOVE DBPOWERAMP!!!
    WHEN USERS OFFER ADVICE ETC, AND BECAUSE I AM VERY SLOW TO CATCH ON TO EASY CONCEPTS THAT ARE EASY FOR ALL OF YOU BUT NOT FOR ME,
    THERE ARE USUALLY NO STEP BY STEP GUIDES ON HOW TO DO THIS FOR DUMMIES LIKE ME.

And also, it might be helpful to say if you choose this function or DSP in the wrong order, it won't work, or if you do, go back and do this or that to fix it or just start again.

For example, I am taking 300 Beatles tracks and the track "In My Life" has a -4.6 db volume as it appears in my MediaMonkey from the 2009 Rubber Soul album.
    When I run it through the conversion steps above, the volume increases to the -6.6 level or the -7.5 level I have specified, but it also now has some static on the converted track.

I am trying to determine if I am doing the conversion wrong, in the wrong order or if my PC can't handle converting 300 files at once.
    I am not PC literate; I have a 2 year old Dell XPS and was told it is not too far from a decent gaming PC, even though I do not do gaming.
    I find it hard to believe converting some files takes more horsepower than sophisticated gaming with 3D effects, etc.

If anyone can offer any advice, or point to either another website or offer their email where I can go through this, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thank you in advance,
    ED K, Pleasanton, CA. USA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edkeef; 06-27-2022 at 07:55 PM.