title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Re: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Thanks everyone. I made a reply yesterday and it didn&*8217;t appear in the thread for some reason

I am beginning to understand how this works. I found a work around in Audirvana, but I want to get this tag info into the files as I rip them. I do realize that the file structure I see in my music file is not relevant. I realize that the metadata embedded in the file is what is important. I want the metadata to be correct in case I change music players at some point.

I am going to give Simbin&*8217;s naming string a try, since it uses the album artist sort tag. I&*8217;m not sure if I can save multiple naming strings in the set menu, but I&*8217;m going to give it a try today. I&*8217;ll rip a couple of CDs of different types and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    Thanks everyone. I made a reply yesterday and it didn&*8217;t appear in the thread for some reason

I am beginning to understand how this works. I found a work around in Audirvana, but I want to get this tag info into the files as I rip them. I do realize that the file structure I see in my music file is not relevant. I realize that the metadata embedded in the file is what is important. I want the metadata to be correct in case I change music players at some point.

I am going to give Simbin&*8217;s naming string a try, since it uses the album artist sort tag. I&*8217;m not sure if I can save multiple naming strings in the set menu, but I&*8217;m going to give it a try today. I&*8217;ll rip a couple of CDs of different types and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
    You can have as many naming strings saved as you want by having separate saved profiles. You need to give each ripping PROFILE a name, then select that profile when ripping.

What can I add to get the Artist Sort tag in there. I mean into Simbuns string. I think that may be what Audirvana needs to sort these correctly. This string changed the name of the file in my music folder, but not the "sort sa" field in Audirvana. Thanks.

John
    Last edited by Johnnyb; 06-27-2022 at 12:55 PM.

Ok. I tried changing album artist sort in the thread to artist sort and that didn't;t work in Audirvana. I may just have to change these settings in Audirvana. Is there any advantage to having both album artist sort and artist sort in the naming string? Thanks for all you your help. I really want to get this ripping underway in earnest. Patience, patience ...

dBpoweramp Guru

In the naming string, you should only have ONE of the following: Artist, Album Artist, Artist Sort, Album Artist Sort. Having more than one (unless there is an IF statement looking for one or the other) makes no sense to me, considering the key purpose of this is tell the program which subdirectory to put the album in. For me, I use Album Artist, if it exists, then Artist, if Album Artist doesn't exist (you can see this from my string posted earlier).

Did you figure out how to add the Album Artist Sort or Artist Sort tags to your files. And unlike naming string, it is perfectly ok, and maybe even recommended, to have ARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST SORT, ARTIST SORT, all in your TAGS, even if in many cases the values of each tag field are identical. Can't hurt anything and gives you options depending on what your music server wants (or any future server you use).

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok. I tried changing album artist sort in the thread to artist sort and that didn't;t work in Audirvana. I may just have to change these settings in Audirvana. Is there any advantage to having both album artist sort and artist sort in the naming string? Thanks for all you your help. I really want to get this ripping underway in earnest. Patience, patience ...

And again, Audionirvana is likely NOT using the file name anyhow, it is likely using the TAG info. Do you have ARTIST SORT tag field completed in the files so that Audionirvana can use the info. Respectfully, I'm still not sure you are getting the difference between file NAME (which is just used in organizing your files in a directory on your computer) and file TAGS, which are used by most programs to sort, browse, search, etc. We typically try to name files based on our tags (so they make some sense to us when looking at files on a computer), but there is no required connection between name and tag info.

dBpoweramp Guru

JohnnyB, what file format are you ripping to? FLAC? mp3? m4a? Possibly you said above, but on a PC? A Mac? There are some differences in tags between the different file formats.

Also, you might find it educational (if you are using a PC) to install a free program called mp3tag and look at some of your files to see what tags are there and what is stored in them. You can do that using the right click "dbpoweramp edit ID tags" option on a file, but sometimes it is clearer what you have in mp3tag. (Mp3tag works with just about all file formats, not just mp3's).

dBpoweramp Guru

and mp3tag now has a Mac version as well. Not free but has 7 day trial.
    https://mp3tag.app/

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry, a little late to this discussion. I see that the OP is on a Mac mini, so the slashes in my naming string will need to be replaced for MacOS. But I use sorting tags for AlbumArtist, Album, Artist, Composer, and Title. I fill this info in for every file, whether it is an exact duplicate of the non-sort field or not, for consistency. In some cases this information is readily available in CD Ripper, but usually the sort fields need to be added manually. When it comes to the file name, it is less relevant for most modern players that really build their library from the metadata tag info. But it really does help when working within a file browser. And for restoring from back up in the event something unexpected happens.

This is the string I use for naming all of my rips:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE][tag]album artist sort[],[tag]album artist sort[],[album artist][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE][tag]album sort[],[tag]album sort[],[album][] [[IFVALUE][tag]album artist sort[],[tag]album artist sort[],[album artist][]][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title][]

Thanks Gary. I have only Album artist sort in my string, but I do have all of those tags checked that you mentioned. I do realize that the oil name doesn't;t mean anything as far as Audirvana reading the information. I look at the file name like my name. The tags are like my fingerprints. Intrinsic information that identifies the file and helps organize it in the music server.

Achmidj - I am ripping to FLAC in a Mac environment. Gary - I will check out the mp3tag.

Gbroen - Thanks for reminding me of the slahses! I forgot to change those in Simbuns string. Not sure if that will make a difference. I'll try it now.

I changed the slashes. Same result.

dBpoweramp Guru

I changed the slashes. Same result.
    what result? What's not working as expected (and double check that you've reversed ALL the slashes).

I have all the slashes reversed.

The metadata reads:

Artist Dexter Gordon
    Album artist Dexter Gordon
    Artist sort Gordon, Dexter
    Album artist sort: Gordon, Dexter

and only Album Artist Sort is in the string I am using from Simbun.

Result: Audirvana shows the artist as Dexter Gordon and sort as Dexter Gordon. Augh! I tried it with artist sort, same result. I don't know which metadata tag Audirvana pulls its sort info from. I guess that is the question.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have all the slashes reversed.

The metadata reads:

Artist Dexter Gordon
    Album artist Dexter Gordon
    Artist sort Gordon, Dexter
    Album artist sort: Gordon, Dexter

and only Album Artist Sort is in the string I am using from Simbun.

Result: Audirvana shows the artist as Dexter Gordon and sort as Dexter Gordon. Augh! I tried it with artist sort, same result. I don't know which metadata tag Audirvana pulls its sort info from. I guess that is the question.
    If your metadata info is correct as you report it, then this is an Audivarna issue, not a ripping or naming issue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question, in Audionirvana program, when you browse an alphabetical artist list, where does Dexter Gordon show up? Under "D" or under "G". I don't use that program, but I assume it could sort Dexter Gordon to be in "G", but report to you the artist name (Dexter Gordon). Actually, in my mind, that would be a good thing.