title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beginner question on dynamic naming

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to DBPA and I've figured out the secure ripping settings and ripped about 12 albums.

I'm hoping someone can help this low-tech newbie with a couple of questions. I have read many threads on here and everyone is really helpful. However, my head is starting to spin and I need an answer so I can start ripping my few hundred cds to my Mac mini. I an using Audirvana for playback.

What I need is a string that will alphabetize the artists by last name and band names by the first character. I would like The Beatles to be Beatles, The. Although I ripped St Peppers and it came our correct. I have chosen Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort, but am not sure how to use them. I would like multi-disc sets to be in their own folder under the album name.

I know I'm throwing out a lifeline here, but I have really tried to distill this information from the threads and I have a massive headache. Thanks so much for any help you can give me, or links to threads I could use.

Finally, when I figure our my new naming settings, can I apply those settings to the albums I have already ripped?

John

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Beginner question on dynamic naming

I'll play with this in the morning. One question, when you say you want multidisk sets to be under a folder with album name, does this include multi disk sets (even 2 disks) where it is a single artist? Or are you referring to compilations (various artists)?

dBpoweramp Guru

sorry, just played with this, and can't make it work. Seems you need to use artist sort or album artist sort in your naming string. From some other threads, I see that you can reference these as:

[tag]album artist sort[]
    [tag]artist sort[]

But when I use these in dynamic naming strings, it won't include the artist sort or album artist sort value. @spoon or some user that uses those sort tags in naming will have to chime in. Good luck.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    sorry, just played with this, and can't make it work. Seems you need to use artist sort or album artist sort in your naming string. From some other threads, I see that you can reference these as:

[tag]album artist sort[]
    [tag]artist sort[]

But when I use these in dynamic naming strings, it won't include the artist sort or album artist sort value. @spoon or some user that uses those sort tags in naming will have to chime in. Good luck.
    this thread reports success, but when I use even a simple string, wtih just a sort tag, it shows up as blank.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...dynamic-naming

dBpoweramp Guru

Another thought. My music server doesn't use the file or folder name for browsing or lists. It uses the metadata tag information. What server do you use, and can you tell it to use sort values. In my own case, I don't use SORT tags, but the server has settings that let me tell it to ignore "the" etc. in alphabetical listings. So The Beatles show up under "B".

Thanks so much Gary for giving this so much thought. My main goal is to get the artists to list alphabetically by last name. I don&*8217;t care if I use the sort tags or not. However, band names like Rossington Collins Band, I would want to show up under R.

dBpoweramp Guru

rip a few different CDs that have obvious names you want sorted correctly and see how they show up in your server. A server that uses "sort" tags, should work for sorting, for example, George Harrison under "H" (with artist sort tag = Harrison, George). So I'd suggest you always add artist sort and album artist sort to your rips.

p.s. Long ago, I gave up on all this (and I have about 9,000 CDs ripped). So I've learned to look for George Harrison under "G". But at least things like "The Beatles" show up under "B" and "The Who" show up under "W". I even rearranged my physical storage sorting of my CDs to match the "first name" alphabet naming of my server.