title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Re: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Simbun- I used your string without the year and I noticed that their isn''t a folder.jpg in each individual file like there was in the original string. Is this dependent on the CD being ripped?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    Simbun- I used your string without the year and I noticed that their isn''t a folder.jpg in each individual file like there was in the original string. Is this dependent on the CD being ripped?
    that has nothing to do with the naming string. Folder.jpg wont be there unless you ripped a CD and it creates the artwork.

Yeah. Thats what I thought. Must be a setting in DBPA ...

Gary - Can you add album artist sort to your various artists string? I would appreciate it. I think that will do it for me.
    Last edited by Johnnyb; 07-01-2022 at 04:14 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yeah. Thats what I thought. Must be a setting in DBPA ...

Gary - Can you add album artist sort to your various artists string? I would appreciate it. I think that will do it for me.

Try this. (reverse all the back slashes). And this assumes you aways have ALBUM ARTIST SORT filled in on every track.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [tag]album artist sort[][][IF!COMP][tag]album artist sort[]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

Thank you! I'm going to run my test CDs and we'll see if it is the winner! (Fanfare)
    Last edited by Johnnyb; 07-01-2022 at 07:11 PM.

OK. Ran into a little problem with my various artists sample. I have compilation checked and each song has the correct meta for Artist and Artist sort. At the album level meta, the album artist sort is set at various artists, as is the artist tag. Various artists is showing up on each song, rather than the artist name. I would like to have the artist name beside each song, if possible.

dBpoweramp Guru

Code:
    [MAXLENGTH]240,
      [IFCOMP]Various Artists\
        [album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\
          [track] - [title] - [tag]album artist sort[]
      []
      [IF!COMP][tag]album artist sort[]\
        [album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\
          [track] - [title]
      []
    []
    That string adds album artist sort to the filename only if it's part of a compilation, do you want artist sort to appear just on compilations or both?

You said you'd be making sure that album artist sort is populated for compilations, so it's doing an unnecessary check to see whether it's a compilation.

The only real difference this naming string has (other than filename) is that it doesn't create a Disc folder if the album only has one disc, is that what you want too? I prefer to have a consistent folder structure so I can perform QA checks such as:
    Level 1 folder is AlbumArtistSort and should contain albumartist.jpg
    Level 2 folder is Album and should contain back.jpg (and a few other files specific to my setup)
    Level 3 folder is Disc and should contain folder.jpg, %discnumber%.cue, %discnumber%.log

Why don't you tell us what you would like to see and we can put it together for you :-)

Out of interest what tags are you populating, because as we've all said before that's the important bit, not how the files are stored.

Thanks Sim. It's 2 in the morning and I've made a decision to use the following string.

[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][tag]album artist sort[][]\[album]\CD[SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[track] - [title]

I will add Artist after Title on various artists discs.

I've run it with various types of Cds and it seems to set up my directory the way I like and that seems logical. It also works well with Audirvana. As for the tags I am populating Artist, Artist Sort, Album, Album Artist, Album Artist Sort, Genre , Year, disc, composer. Any others I should be filling in?

dBpoweramp Guru

Assuming you also have TrackNumber and Title, I would strongly recommend that you also store DiscTotal (you may already have that in Disc as XX/YY, which I think should be fine as long as downstream apps are able to handle it).

I've also found creating a DATE_(ADDED|RIPPED) nice to have, although I don't think dBpoweramp can do this.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK. Ran into a little problem with my various artists sample. I have compilation checked and each song has the correct meta for Artist and Artist sort. At the album level meta, the album artist sort is set at various artists, as is the artist tag. Various artists is showing up on each song, rather than the artist name. I would like to have the artist name beside each song, if possible.
    there is no "album level" metadata. All metadata is contained within each track (artist, album, album artist, etc.). If you've set the artist tag to "Various Artists" then that's what will show up on each song. With compilations, I would set the ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST SORT to Various Artists, but leave ARTIST as the actual artist on each track. Then you'll see the actual artist for each track on the compilation.

Thanks for the clarification Gary. I think I have that sorted out.

Sim - I don't see that I have a Disctotal or Disc tag available? Where is it and why do I need it? Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the clarification Gary. I think I have that sorted out.

Sim - I don't see that I have a Disctotal or Disc tag available? Where is it and why do I need it? Thanks.
    The disk tag is only used in my case when I have multiple disc. I do not use a disk tag if I only have one disc in the album. You would need the disc tag information entered, for example, to use my naming string that deals with multi disc albums.

dBpoweramp Guru

I meant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    you may already have that in Track as XX/YY, which I think should be fine as long as downstream apps are able to handle it).

In terms of why:
    Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    dBpoweramp has a utility codec called 'Arrange Audio' that allows you to move your files around based on your tags and the dBpoweramp naming language. To make life easier, I suggest you tag your compilations with either COMPILATION=1 (so you can use [IFCOMP]) or tag AlbumArtist with 'Various Artists' in order to be able to identify compilations, and populate TOTALDISCS so that you can use [IFMULTI].
    If you ever want to be able to use [IFMULTI] in MusicConverter then you'll need it in your tags. It's also very difficult to populate post rip (it's possible with foobar but it's still not straight-forward) should you need it.

Thanks Guys. Where can I set that in the program?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Guys. Where can I set that in the program?
    CD Ripper options, ID tags and metadata, tick the disk number boxes as tags you want to write to the tracks. Note when I do this if I have a single disc ripping I have to manually delete the 1 number from the disk number on the ripping page for that album so that it doesn&*8217;t write that disc number to the tag.