title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner question on dynamic naming

Re: Beginner question on dynamic naming

I could have used either of your strings, but I wanted to have the release date available. However, I may want to move it to the end of the title. Gary, how do you track different masterings of the same album?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    I could have used either of your strings, but I wanted to have the release date available. However, I may want to move it to the end of the title. Gary, how do you track different masterings of the same album?
    I put something in the album tag field for anything other than the original CD. For example:

ALBUM: Revolver
    ALBUM: Revolver (2009 Stereo)
    ALBUM: Revolver (2009 Mono)

So my initial album files just have the simple album name. Anything after that, I put something in parentheses in the name of the album itself. Lots of different approaches here, and all that matters is that it fits the way you think about it.

Thanks Gary. I'm gonna give your string another try. I don't think I want the date before the album title. I have to rip a multidisciplinary set and see how it handles it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Gary. I'm gonna give your string another try. I don't think I want the date before the album title. I have to rip a multidisciplinary set and see how it handles it.
    It automatically handles multiple disks and compilation albums (and non-comps and single disks of course).

Yeah. Tried it on a double disc and a compilation. Looks good, The box set string you gave me earlier, does that handle them any different than a double or triple disc?

dBpoweramp Guru

Yeah. Tried it on a double disc and a compilation. Looks good, The box set string you gave me earlier, does that handle them any different than a double or triple disc?
    The box set string I gave you is super simple. It only deals with MULTIDISK CDs, and doesn't put them in an ARTIST or ALBUM artist folder. It simply puts all those disks in a folder called "Box Sets" Keep in mind that I wouldn't do that for my own collection. If I have a box set for an artist, I want it to show up in that ARTIST folder in my files. My regular naming string deals with box sets as is (in terms of each disk gets put in a separate folder, either under the artist>album or under complilation > album.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Johnnyb,

Whilst it's great to see that you're spending the time upfront to get your folder structure right, I think you're worrying too much about it, because as long as you've got a comprehensive set of tags that are fully populated it's relatively trivial to change it around in future.
    For now you really just need to settle on a convention that allows you to rip your music and play around with getting the tagging right for your current player and future needs.

dBpoweramp has a utility codec called 'Arrange Audio' that allows you to move your files around based on your tags and the dBpoweramp naming language. To make life easier, I suggest you tag your compilations with either COMPILATION=1 (so you can use [IFCOMP]) or tag AlbumArtist with 'Various Artists' in order to be able to identify compilations, and populate TOTALDISCS so that you can use [IFMULTI].

Also, realise that your naming and tagging strategy will evolve over time, so accept that and enjoy the journey - and the music ;-)

dBpoweramp Guru

excellent point @simbun. Once you get bitperfect rips, tags, file name, folders, etc. can all be easily changed in bulk with a few mouse clicks. And most folks do find later on that there are things they weren't thinking about when they started. Heck, I've been tinkering with my tags for 15 years and might change things again!

You guys are correct. I'm confident now that I have all of the necessary tags filled. I'm just going to settle on a string and start ripping. I think I'm going to go with Gary's and change the compilation to various artists. If I can do that, think that should do it. I have to explore programs that can edit tags. Thanks again for helping me out. I've learned a lot this past week or so.

BTW, Simbun, what do I remove to take the year out of the title?
    Last edited by Johnnyb; 06-30-2022 at 07:29 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

this will use "Various Artists" instead. Be sure on "compilations" you set the compilations tag value (tick the box in the ripper screen), for this to work. If you are a Mac, then change all the back slashes to forward slashes above.

dBpoweramp Guru

BTW, Simbun, what do I remove to take the year out of the title?

The original string was:
    Code:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][tag]album artist sort[][]\[IF!COMP][GRAB]1,4,[year][] - [][album]\CD[SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[track] - [title]
    To just remove the YEAR you can change it to:
    Code:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][tag]album artist sort[][]\[album]\CD[SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[track] - [title]
    If you're ALWAYS going to populate AlbumArtistSort then you can simplify down to:
    Code:
    [tag]album artist sort[]\[album]\CD[SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[track] - [title]
    I actually just have the filename as:
    Code:
    [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][].[track]
    e.g. 01.13.flac, because I'm never going to look at them (if I need to change something I'll have foobar open the directory and I just need to know the track number), and I hate the thought of having really long filenames like for this album, but that might be taking things a bit too far for you ;-)

Thanks guys. Yeah, Simbun, I&*8217;m over 50, I need names in things! Close to finalizing my string. Slightly OT, when you download a hirez flac file, does it have metadata similar to a cd?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks guys. Yeah, Simbun, I&*8217;m over 50, I need names in things! Close to finalizing my string. Slightly OT, when you download a hirez flac file, does it have metadata similar to a cd?
    Heck, 50 you are practically a teenager. Also with regard to download files Hi-Rez or otherwise, they sometimes have metadata sometimes not, but most of the time the metadata is bad and I have to edit it before I put it into my system.

Yeah. I'm going to see about a metadata editing program for Mac. Does the C2 capability of the drive matter? Mine says that it doesn't do it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yeah. I'm going to see about a metadata editing program for Mac. Does the C2 capability of the drive matter? Mine says that it doesn't do it.
    no, doesn't matter in dbpoweramp. Just don't tick "use C2" in the ripper settings. Most of my drives don't use C2. The beauty of dbpoweramp secure ripping and AccurateRip, is that this really doesn't matter.

p.s. Of course dbpoweramp has metadata editing capabilities, but it is not it's main strength. I use mp3tag (windows), but there is an mp3tag Mac version. I've heard about BLISS, MusicBrainz Picard for Mac.