title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

I thought that Secure/Ultra Secure Ripping was the best option as it first attempted Burst and only went to Secure/Ultra Secure if there was an issue with Burst - Is this true?

I am ripping The Rolling Stones - Rock And Roll Circus.
    When I first attempted this the first track which is only 25 seconds was ripping for 8 minutes so I aborted the rip and started again skipping track 1 and starting at 2. This track which is only 54 seconds went for almost 13 minutes before I aborted.

Should I be using Secure/Ultra Secure?

Here is the error log for that one track
    Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'C:\Dave\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones The\The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus\02-Rolling Stones, The-Entry Of The Gladiators.flac'
    Track 2: ERROR Ripping LBA 1905 to 6030 (0:55) in 12:51. Filename: C:\Dave\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones The\The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus\02-Rolling Stones, The-Entry Of The Gladiators.flac

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    I thought that Secure/Ultra Secure Ripping was the best option as it first attempted Burst and only went to Secure/Ultra Secure if there was an issue with Burst - Is this true?
    Yes, this is true. And yes, you should be using Secure/Ultra for ripping this (and all) disks. Obviously there is a problem with the disk. If you let it continue on it *may* ultimately rip OK. I'd try to clean the CD and then re-rip. And sometimes in these situations, I find that ripping using a different optical drive can solve the issue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, this is true. And yes, you should be using Secure/Ultra for ripping this (and all) disks. Obviously there is a problem with the disk. If you let it continue on it *may* ultimately rip OK. I'd try to clean the CD and then re-rip. And sometimes in these situations, I find that ripping using a different optical drive can solve the issue.
    And if there is no visible damage to the disc, and a good cleaning doesn't help either, it could be a case of disc rot. This happens on older discs where the inner disc hasn't been well sealed. My original Rush/Chronicles compilation had this on both discs. Other than a slightly off-colour tinge to the discs, there is no other signs of damage or scratches, but neither of the two discs from this set will rip cleanly. :(

Thanks guys. The CD looks brand new and plays fine. I bought the premium license so I could install this in an additional machine. I have my old backup laptop so I tried ripping it there with the same settings and it blew through the entre disc in 4 minutes. So it looks like my cd/dvd reader may me the issue.It an Asus SDRW-08U9M-U. I see a new posting from Spoon "Sticky: CD Drive Accuracy 2022" I will have to see where my 2 drives fall.

Thanks again guys for the sanity check on Security Ripping

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    Thanks guys. The CD looks brand new and plays fine. I bought the premium license so I could install this in an additional machine. I have my old backup laptop so I tried ripping it there with the same settings and it blew through the entre disc in 4 minutes. So it looks like my cd/dvd reader may me the issue.It an Asus SDRW-08U9M-U. I see a new posting from Spoon "Sticky: CD Drive Accuracy 2022" I will have to see where my 2 drives fall.

Thanks again guys for the sanity check on Security Ripping
    I have several cheap optical drives for ripping. The "correctness" of the drive from Spoon's list may not really matter in this situation. I have some problem disks that will rip on Drive A but not on Drive B. Then some other problem CD may be exactly the opposite. So it is not that one drive is "better". I don't understand enough about the technology of how the drives read data and how this affects our ripping, but I have ripped enough CDs to know that sometimes, just a different drive makes all the difference.

Thanks for that info. I didn't see either of on drives listed in Spoon's list