title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Path Name

Path Name

I am looking for some help with Tags. I what my file structure to start with a directory that is named for the artist.
    The current Artist Tag is fine except when it is an individual name.
    I want LastnameFirstname, with no spaces and no comma.
    In fact I never want a space in the Directory name.
    What I am wanting is:
    JohnsonEric not Eric Johnson
    RollingStones (RollingStonesThe) is OK
    I thought that a custom Tag would make the most sense but I could use some help. I read the thread "Naming Scheme Tutorial" but I am still at a loss.
    Any help that anyone has would be appreciated.
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Path Name

Firstly you need to make sure that dBpoweramp is bringing through Album Artist Sort, so:

CD Ripper -> Menu -> CD Ripper Options -> Meta Data & ID Tag: Options, make sure in the 'Write ID Tags' section that 'Album Artist Sort' is selected.

Then in dynamic naming config you should be able to reference it with [tag]album artist sort[]

To remove spaces you can use:
    [REPLACE] ,,[tag]album artist sort[][]

but I can't remove the commas. This page suggests that '[REPLACE],@,[tag]album artist sort[][]' would replace commas with @ but it doesn't seem to work.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    This page suggests that '[REPLACE],@,[tag]album artist sort[][]' would replace commas with @ but it doesn't seem to work.
    This should work:
    [REPLACE]<comma_>,@,[tag]album artist sort[][]

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    This should work:
    [REPLACE]<comma_>,@,[tag]album artist sort[][]
    And it was on the same page I referenced! Maybe the first example should be updated?

In that case you should be able to use:
    [REPLACE]<comma_>,,[REPLACE] ,,[tag]album artist sort[][][]

If Album Artist Sort doesn't give you exactly what you want then you may need to generate the string yourself.

Thanks everyone for your help, but I am in need of some additional help.

I checked album artist sort (it was not originally) and now when I look at the metadata I see album artist sort, and it is want I want (well, the first step towards that, it has spaces but I see comments on how to remove those).

I had the default Dynamic Naming, so I replaced
    album artist,[album artist]
    with
    album artist sort,[album artist sort]

This yields a root directory of [album artist sort] not the value of this tag but "[album artist sort]"
    What am I missing?
    Here is what I have

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[album artist sort],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

dBpoweramp Guru

Because it's a non-standard tag (to dBpoweramp) you have to refer to it using [tag]album artist sort[], so:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[tag]album artist sort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

With the following I still get the value that is in "album artist" not the "album artist sort"
    MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[tag]album artist sort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

I may have been wrong when I said that I see the value for "album artist sort". I definitely see it when I look at a specific track, however I do not know how to look at that for the entire CD.

Well I discovered that it I go to the Tags tab and enter a NEW Tag and call it Album Artist Sort that it works. However I don't think it is very practical for me to have to do this for all CD that I want to RIP. I would think that there should be a way to switch "first last" to "last first". I will keep trying

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    Well I discovered that it I go to the Tags tab and enter a NEW Tag and call it Album Artist Sort that it works. However I don't think it is very practical for me to have to do this for all CD that I want to RIP. I would think that there should be a way to switch "first last" to "last first". I will keep trying
    Album Artist Sort should be populated automatically from the metadata providers, adding it to the Tags tab just means that it will show you the value if one has been automatically supplied. If one hasn't been automatically supplied then the tag won't appear so you'll need to add the tag to %appdata%\dBpoweramp\DefaultTagEdit.txt (this requires 17.6 I believe) so that it will always appear and you can then update it yourself.

Switching "first name" to "last name" is simple, if you know it's an artist rather than a band, and if that artist also only has two names, so it get's messy quickly.
    Last edited by simbun; 06-14-2022 at 03:37 PM.

One last question on dynamic naming (I should admit I am not a programmer) I am close to what I want. I am not sure why it is functioning the way it is. I have done a lot of copy and paste and a lot or modifications. So I am close and may live with it.

I have been trying to remove the comma (ie. "Rolling Stones, The" becomes "Rolling Stones The"). I have it working for the root directory but not the artist portion of the track name. I have the following (I have played with the ",,," after the replace comma... but can not figure out what they are doing)

[REPLACE]<comma_>,,,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[tag]album artist sort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[][track]-[IFCOMP][artist]-[][title]

Any help would be appreciated..thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    I have been trying to remove the comma (ie. "Rolling Stones, The" becomes "Rolling Stones The"). I have it working for the root directory but not the artist portion of the track name. I have the following (I have played with the ",,," after the replace comma... but can not figure out what they are doing)

[REPLACE]<comma_>,,,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[tag]album artist sort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[][track]-[IFCOMP][artist]-[][title]
    If you want to remove commas from the artist tag then you'll need to wrap it in a [REPLACE] function. You could wrap the whole thing in a [REPLACE] but then you'll be removing characters AFTER the truncation to 80 characters.
    There are a few other issues, so I think a corrected version would look something like:

Code:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[REPLACE]<comma_>,,,[IFVALUE]album artist sort,[tag]album artist sort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[REPLACE]<comma_>,,[album][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track]-[IFCOMP][REPLACE]<comma_>,,[artist][]-[][title][]

Thank you simbun, the suggestion you made is providing the desired outcome!!