title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DVDRAM GSA-T20N ejects CD then rips remaining tracks as blank.

DVDRAM GSA-T20N ejects CD then rips remaining tracks as blank.

Running Windows 10, registered dbpoweramp 17.7 on an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N USB 3.0 ripping to .mp3 and .m4b

Every so often the CD will be ejected and all remaining tracks will be 'ripped' from an empty drive, to files with the correct track name and size but silent audio data.
    If I reinsert it rips fine.

Reporting as it seems a good way to get a corrupt rip out of an unattended session.

Administrator

Re: DVDRAM GSA-T20N ejects CD then rips remaining tracks as blank.

CD Drives should not eject a CD unless asked, most likely the drive crashed internally, or the USB connection is unreliable.

Not a good look for a CD player, but the software does not fail gracefully either, it claims that all the rips are accurate and successful.

Administrator

because the drive is reporting all is well and still giving out data...

I was having trouble ripping an older CD. The CD drive would just seek and seek and seek. So I ejected the CD, cleaned it off and then clicked on the "rip" button. dbPoweramp ripped all the tracks successfully and securely. The track sizes seemed right, the track names were recognized and each track was marked "Accurate."

The problem is that I didn't actually put the CD back into the CD drive as I was distracted for a moment. The CD drive door was open and no CD was in there. The CD in question was on my desk a foot away. So dbPoweramp wasn't able to read the CD when it was actually in the CD drive but could correctly rip all the tracks when the CD was sitting out on my desk? That was a little spooky. However after reading this thread, I played the .wav files that dbPoweramp ripped and they are all silence. Just the right amount of silence - the .wav file lengths all match what the song listing in the CD case say (+/- a few seconds).

dBpoweramp should be able to detect whether there is a CD in the CD drive and should also be able to detect that whatever "ghost" data it might be receiving from the CD drive doesn't checksum to what AccurateRIP has for that track.
    Last edited by TexasToast; 11-25-2023 at 02:02 PM.

Administrator

Because it is a flaw with the drive, it reports there is a disc loaded and actually gives out data (all zeros). We have seen this for real in the past, we cannot really work around faulty firmware on drives.