title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Combine rips from two drives

Combine rips from two drives

Now and then I'll have a CD where a track has a few dodgy frames, according to the log, and is therefore reported insecure.

If this track is ripped in another drive it might also come up with some dodgy frames but on a completely separate part of the track.

Is there a way to use the data from these two rips to produce an accurate result?

Administrator

Re: Combine rips from two drives

Sorry there is not.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Spoon.

It would be jolly handy if it were possible, wouldn't it?

dBpoweramp Guru

you should check out CueTools and its "repair" function. If you only have a few frames that are bad, it can sometimes replace those frames from its database and generate a correct track. I've used it successfully on a few bad tracks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at CueTools and it seems to be Windows only. That doesn't make it impossible, just more clumsy.

Having thought about this a bit more, what I'm really asking for is an option to recover damaged frames from an alternate drive during the ripping process.

Out of more than 1000 disks, I'm left with about 20 that stubbornly refuse to give up all their tracks successfully. Most of these show different damaged frames, depending on the drive used.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at CueTools and it seems to be Windows only. That doesn't make it impossible, just more clumsy.

Having thought about this a bit more, what I'm really asking for is an option to recover damaged frames from an alternate drive during the ripping process.

Out of more than 1000 disks, I'm left with about 20 that stubbornly refuse to give up all their tracks successfully. Most of these show different damaged frames, depending on the drive used.

Yep, as @spoon notes, what you're asking is not available. But as I said, what CueTools does is actually a version of what you want, with the exception that it is using correct frames from its own CUETOOLS database rather than your own corrected frames. Also, note that dbpa reports even one damaged frame, but I recall that a frame is only 1/75 of a second. So a small number of bad frames wouldn't even be audible. I've got a number of insecure rips, that a close listen via headphone doesn't indicate any audible problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    Now and then I'll have a CD where a track has a few dodgy frames, according to the log, and is therefore reported insecure.

If this track is ripped in another drive it might also come up with some dodgy frames but on a completely separate part of the track.

Is there a way to use the data from these two rips to produce an accurate result?
    Here's what I do... RIP the entire disk in drive A, and then only re-rip the bad tracks in drive B. Re-ripping the bad tracks with different drive settings or on different drives until (hopefully) you get a good rip of every track.