title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper hangs during configuration after changing drives

CD Ripper hangs during configuration after changing drives

Hi there, I'm running 16.6 64 bit on Windows 10 and ran across what seems to be a pretty serious bug.

My system has been running an iHAS124-04 for many years but I recently started doing some more ripping.

The drive seemed slow so I shut everything down and swapped in an ASUS DRW-24B1ST that I've used in the past with other systems.

I followed the configuration guide, the system determined that there was no read cache, and so on, and then I went to rip my first disc.

The system prompted me to put in an Audio CD to configure the offset and helpfully said my model should be +6 and that it would only take five seconds to compute the offset.

I put in a CD as requested and hit Continue and the application hangs. After a long time, Windows asks if the application should be closed, and I say yes, and the application doesn't even close.

I did a full power down and power up -- Shutdown from within Windows, wait for the system to be completely down, power up -- checked that the read cache was still set to zero, and again got the prompt to configure the offset using AccurateRip, and put in an Audio CD, and hit Continue, and same result.

I am a bit baffled. I suppose that this could be a problem with the drive, but the application had no trouble figuring out after a minute or two that there was no read caching, and it identifies the drive just fine, and it even can see if I've got a CD in there or not. It's cabled using the same cables as the previous drive.

Thoughts? I'm at a loss.

(fully registered 16.6)

Administrator

Re: CD Ripper hangs during configuration after changing drives

>and the application doesn't even close

Something low level has crashed, it is not CD Ripper, perhaps the CD drive, or SATA driver.

Re: CD Ripper hangs during configuration after changing drives

Well sounds like something I can't expect to fix then. Drive works perfectly under Linux running grip which is a front end for CDParanoia.

Bummer, I was hoping the ASUS would be faster and more accurate for CD audio rips than the iHAS.

Very strange that the drive obeys open and close commands, was able to compute the read offset, and dbPowerAmp recognized the make and model and suggested the correct offset, but that it cannot calibrate for AccurateRip. One would think that if all the other stuff worked that the AccurateRip calibration would work.