title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Pre-Emphasis does not show in Track Technical column

Pre-Emphasis does not show in Track Technical column

I have a CD, target Beatles Abbey Road from Japan, but Pre-Emphasis is not showing in the track technical column. I want to apply De-Emphasis in the rip but preference says CD tracks need to be marked with Pre-Emphasis. If I rip it as is, will De-Emphasis be applied or not? If not, what should I do? Thank you for any help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Pre-Emphasis does not show in Track Technical column

It appears that disc doesn't have the pre-emphasis flags in the TOC - which is what CD Ripper checks - but I can't find anywhere that confirms if it's in the subcode either. If you wanted to confirm whether the disc has the pre-emphasis flags in the subcode you could rip your CD with either XLD on the mac or CUERipper on Windows and you should see 'FLAGS PRE' in the resulting CUE sheet (both rippers check TOC and subcode).

If you're confident that your disc does have pre-emphasis, you can still rip it with CD Ripper and apply the DSP 'Audio CD - De-emphasis' in Music Converter afterwards.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
    I have a CD, target Beatles Abbey Road from Japan, but Pre-Emphasis is not showing in the track technical column.
    What is the catalog no. of your CD?

Thank you.

Number on the side of the case is cp35-3016

dBpoweramp Guru

Discogs and the Pre-Emphasis user database are reporting CP35-3016 as being mastered with pre-emphasis.

You could rip the CD without de-emphasis and use foobar2000 with the de-emphasis component installed, as your audio player.

Thank you for your replies mville. I tried what simbun suggested. I haven't played it yet and not sure if I did it right. I was aware that this CD was mastered with pre-emphasis but a bit disappointed that the software couldn't recognize it though I realize it was how the CD itself was mastered. It did recognize it on another CD that I ripped this morning that I didn't know had pre-emphasis, so that's pretty cool!

Thank you mville and simbun.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@spoon any chance you would add SubCode Pre-Emphasis detection to CD Ripper? Would make everyone's life a lot easier. The type of Pre-Emphasis could be reported in the Track Technical column, right? And the DSP de-emphasis would then 'kick in' reliably in any type of Pre-Emphasis scenario....