title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset 7.4 multi-disc albums

Asset 7.4 multi-disc albums

Since I upgraded to Asset 7.4 on my QNAP NAS multi-disc albums are no longer showing as one album despite having the multi disc album option set to combine as one

asset.jpg

For example these two David Gilmour Albums used to show up as one icon for each not two

gilmour.jpg

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Regards,
    Steve

Re: Asset 7.4 multi-disc albums

An update to this, I uninstalled Asset 7.4 and re-installed to see if a clean install would fix the problem but alas it didn't.

I then uninstalled 7.4 and went back to 7.3 and multi-disc albums are now showing as single icons when browsing so I can only conclude that there's something not quite right in how 7.4 handles multi-disc albums when the combine option is set.

Regards,
    Steve

dBpoweramp Guru

Just to reaffirm the observations above I performed a completely stock install of v7 on Windows and my multi-disc albums were correctly grouped, yet when I performed a stock install of 7.4 I too see the separation. Both had defaults of 'Combine Multi-Disc Albums as One'.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the bug report.
    Problem confirmed, fixing in progress.

Super Moderator

... looks like I spoke too soon.

This behavior is a result of a new "Album Defined by Folder" option, which is on by default. It causes media in distinct folders to be treated as distinct albums regardless of tagging.

Please turn it off and everything should work as expected.

Thanks for the reply. The 'Album defined by folder' option was in 7.3 and the behaviour has changed. I've gone back to 7.3 and that option is checked along with having the multi-disc album option set to combine. In 7.3 my multi-disc albums are showing as one icon. In 7.4 with both options the same I'm seeing multi-disc albums separated. I can turn off the Album defined by folder option in 7.4 and they then show as single entries but the problem with that is that I have a number of albums where I have different versions, say one hi-res and one CD quality with bonus tracks or perhaps two from different masters. In 7.4 both versions are merged in to one entry when browsing whereas in 7.3 the separation between different versions is preserved while still showing multi-disc albums as one. I suppose the fix would be to change the tagging to differentiate between versions of the same album but that seems unnecessary when 7.3 handles it correctly, at least how I see it.

Super Moderator

Old behavior:
    "Combine albums" set, disc count tag present and greater than 1 >>> "album defined by folder" suppressed.
    It relied on albums having disc number tags which was not good enough.

New behavior:
    "Combine albums" + "album defined by folder" both set >>> if the folder name looks anything like "some album, disc X", try to group all apparent folders of the set together.

What are the folder names of problematic albums?

I'd need to go to 7.4 again to be absolutely sure but off the top of my head the problematic ones are where there is a parent album folder with sub folders for Disc 1, Disc 2 under that, rather than "Album - Disc 1" and "Album - Disc 2" at the same level.

I think this is also one that all got merged together in 7.4

Screenshot 2022-06-01 123040.jpeg

The ones with a Disc1, Disc2 suffix are CD rips whereas the other is my hi-res version but both have the same album title tag. In 7.4 with the Album defined by folder off both versions get merged in to one album but 7.3 keeps the CD and hi-res versions separate with Album defined by folder set to on
    Last edited by elverdiblanco; 06-01-2022 at 07:33 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

It does seem strange that what I would have thought to be the most common folder and tagging strategy doesn't work out of the box.

Folder layout:
    Code:
    AlbumArtist/Album/CD01 or Disc 1/
                     /CD02 or Disc 2/
    With the tags:
    Album containing the album name
    DiscNumber containing the disc number
    DiscTotal containing the total number of discs in the album

I can't think of any good reason why one would deviate from this, and it's proven the most compatible in my limited testing. Are you targeting a particular ripper or tagging program? It would be interesting to see what most people are doing if you have telemetry.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    It does seem strange that what I would have thought to be the most common folder and tagging strategy doesn't work out of the box.

Folder layout:
    Code:
    AlbumArtist/Album/CD01 or Disc 1/
                     /CD02 or Disc 2/
    With the tags:
    Album containing the album name
    DiscNumber containing the disc number
    DiscTotal containing the total number of discs in the album

I can't think of any good reason why one would deviate from this, and it's proven the most compatible in my limited testing. Are you targeting a particular ripper or tagging program? It would be interesting to see what most people are doing if you have telemetry.
    The variation I use now for directory and filename is a single folder per album (no subfolders) under the AlbumArtist folder, with a disc number followed by a dash preceding the track for any multi disc albums, and all using the sort fields for further structure integrity. For single disc albums, the disc number and dash are excluded.
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\1-01 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\1-02 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\2-01 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\2-02 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\3-01 TitleSort

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    The variation I use now for directory and filename is a single folder per album (no subfolders) under the AlbumArtist folder, with a disc number followed by a dash preceding the track for any multi disc albums, and all using the sort fields for further structure integrity. For single disc albums, the disc number and dash are excluded.
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\1-01 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\1-02 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\2-01 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\2-02 TitleSort
    \AlbumArtistSort\AlbumSort\3-01 TitleSort
    I used to use something similar but more minimalist in terms of the track filename, simply:

\AlbumArtist\Album\01.01 (discnumber.tracknumber)

Having the title in the filename always led to compromises (because not all characters can be used in filenames), and it's not like I'd really look at the title in the filename anyway so I just removed it.

The reason I moved away from the single folder approach is because I found a number of incompatibilities with embedded artwork (for codecs and tagging formats that I wanted to use), so I had to move to external artwork instead. If I'd stayed with a single folder approach using external artwork I wouldn't have been able to have different artwork for different discs within an album e.g. https://www.discogs.com/release/1257...ings-1952-1959

The incompatibilites were:
    MinimServer with OGG
    Sonos with MP3 tagged as ID3v2.4

Super Moderator

New Asset beta posted-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Mac-R7-5-beta

Default behavior of "albums defined by folders" is again consistent with pre-R7.4.

Thanks, working a treat.

Hi,

Trying to figure out how multi discs works with Asset.

I've enabled the option "album defined by folder" with setting "auto (only albums with disc count not set or equal to 1)".

Despite having the disc number set for each disc, the album is not identified as one (multi disc) album.
    I was puzzled why...
    But this only seems to work correctly when the subfolders are named "disc 1", "disc 2", etc.
    If the subfolders are differently named and the discs are set with discnumber =1, discnumber =2, etc, it's not identified as one album.

Am I correct that this only works with subfolder names 'disc 1', etc?
    Can this be changed?
    Or do I understand this option wrong?
    Last edited by Arnold; 12-05-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Administrator

The name of the folders should not impact the multi-disc detection.

Ensure there is a disc number tag with 1/2, 2/2, etc

(depending on audio format it might be two tags which hold disc number / disc count).