title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CDs that are particularly challenging to rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pepik
    • Oct 2019

CDs that are particularly challenging to rip

Can you recommend certain albums that are particularly challenging to rip?
    I would like to get into this. So far, all my CDs have been easy to rip.
    I am looking for the 1% problem cases.

KR
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: CDs that are particularly challenging to rip

The only CD I have that was produced to be difficult to rip was Tasty by Kelis (724359689029). I was helping someone out on another forum and he couldn't rip this Copy Controlled disc so I bought it (for testing), and I couldn't either :-) I think this copy protection was used by Sony in the early 2000's so I don't know how many exist.

Ignoring "difficult to rip" there are those discs that are non-standard (I don't mean with regard to the specicification):
    • Discs with PRE-GAPs (important to keep this information for uniquely identifying your rip to AccurateRip/CUETools database)
    • Discs with tracks in PRE-GAP
    • Data Discs
    • HDCD (with and without active features)
    • Discs with pre-emphasis (can by flagged in TOC and/or subcode, but the VAST majority have flags in the TOC)
    • Discs that have more than one index per track (this shouldn't affect ripping unless you want to split it by index which I've done on multiple occasions)

I did have one disc that I wasn't able to read in my trusty LiteOn iHAS124B drive, but I was in a newer LiteOn drive; It was called White Ladder by David Gray, and I bought it because it has a track in the pregap, but I'm not sure if that's what confused my old LiteOn as it has successfully read other discs with tracks in the pre-gap.

Is this the sort of thing you're after? If so, I can give you some details.

Comment

• miggs
      • Jul 2020

I have a Coldplay X&Y CD that I can't rip. It has the dreaded 'Copy Control'.
      It plays fine in a HiFi CD player. But the Copy Control software in the disc confuses the hell out of computer drives.
      Ripping the disc, every track is inaccurate.

Michael

View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2005 CD release of "X&Y" on Discogs.

Format: Copy Control CD, Year: 2005, Label: Parlophone (094631128028), Barcode: 094631128028, Length: 1:02:35

Comment

• no1funkyguy
        • Jan 2021

I made a thread myself for the one audiobook I've had difficulty ripping (aside from some I haven't been able to rip due to disc scratches/damages etc.) https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...raterip-issues

Comment

Working...

]]>