title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converted file uneditable

Converted file uneditable

I know there are some difficulties converting wav to flac.
    Although I can see metadata in the wav file it does not get converted.
    If there is a solution in the meantime I'd like to hear it.
    I can live with the fact that I have to edit the converted file to add metadata manually or maybe with with mp3tag.
    But than comes my main problem. After converting a WAV file to FLAC the result is uneditable.
    I cannot change the file name or the ID tags.
    Any way to circumvent this?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Converted file uneditable

Quote Originally Posted by deboopi View Post
    Any way to circumvent this?
    Can you change the file name in explorer? If not, perhaps the file in in use, or locked, by some other program. Not being able to edit tags and not able to edit the filename are two separate things.

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Can you change the file name in explorer? If not, perhaps the file in in use, or locked, by some other program. Not being able to edit tags and not able to edit the filename are two separate things.
    I tried to change the name in file explorer.
    I tried to change the properties after opening the properties through right click.
    I rebooted my PC and the problem remains.
    The files are not marked for read-only.

dBpoweramp Guru

What is the file name? What are you trying to change it to? You might want to try this with your antivirus/firewall temporarily turned off. Try changing the filename when booted in "safe mode". BTW, I assume you have a Windows PC, which flavor of Windows? Not a Mac?
    Last edited by schmidj; 04-14-2022 at 11:04 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    What is the file name? What are you trying to change it to? You might want to try this with your antivirus/firewall temporarily turned off. Try changing the filename when booted in "safe mode". BTW, I assume you have a Windows PC, which flavor of Windows? Not a Mac?
    One other thought, make sure the filename you are trying to change it to doesn't contain any of the various Windows "forbidden characters".

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    One other thought, make sure the filename you are trying to change it to doesn't contain any of the various Windows "forbidden characters".
    >No I did not use forbidden characters.
    A part of my problem is solved.
    When I use mp3Tag I can change the filename and it saved to the new name.
    I can see the metadata from the file but it is stored somewhere else because I still cannot see it in the ID-tag variables from the file properties in File Explorer.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

To me it sounds like you have some media program open that's "Using" the file even if it's not supposed to.
    For example, I like to use MPC to play movies, but that thing locks all the files in the folder of what it's playing. Took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ForSerious View Post
    To me it sounds like you have some media program open that's "Using" the file even if it's not supposed to.
    For example, I like to use MPC to play movies, but that thing locks all the files in the folder of what it's playing. Took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.
    If I can change the name and the properties in mp3tag then there ill no other program holding the file open, s that cannot be the cause.
    And indeed I'm running on Windows , release 11

dBpoweramp Guru

Although I can see metadata in the wav file it does not get converted.
    In which software do you see the metadata in the wav file, but not in the converted flac file?

After converting a WAV file to FLAC the result is uneditable.
    Please can you give more details as 'the result is uneditable. I cannot change the file name or the ID tags' does not tell us how you are trying to edit the filename and ID tags.

I tried to change the name in file explorer.
    Exactly how and what happens when you try to 'change the name in file explorer', is there an error message?

I can see the metadata from the file but it is stored somewhere else because I still cannot see it in the ID-tag variables from the file properties in File Explorer.
    Again, please tell us in which software you 'can see the metadata from the file'?

it is stored somewhere else because I still cannot see it in the ID-tag variables from the file properties in File Explorer.
    Where is it stored somewhere else, please can you explain or tell us how you know this?

Please can you post some screenshots as this might give us more info/clues as to what you are doing and what is happening here?