title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do i convert flac files to mp3 keeping the folders in the conversion

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How do i convert flac files to mp3 keeping the folders in the conversion

I have my music collection of 4000 flac songs in 3 folders, with album folders, nested with artist folders, art, etc.

I want to convert to mp3 so I can play them in my car.

However when I convert them the conversion gives me 4000 songs no folders. It did put converted sons into the metadata folders so I can play by artist, album, etc.

How do I do this?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: How do i convert flac files to mp3 keeping the folders in the conversion

So using original source files how do I move these folders and files converted to my flash drive.

Original Source files did the conversion not to the flash drive but where the files were stored.

Help?

Administrator

Use this for creating the car collection:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/tunefusion.htm

If you selected the output location as [origfolder] then that puts in the same location as the source files.

You are best using Windows explorer, in the root music folder in search top right type: *.mp3

Press enter and it will find all mp3 files, if you are 100% sure they are not needed put them in the recycle bin.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks but does not work on Mac OS X 10.11.6

So how do I use Edit Dynamic Naming to take my flac files folders by artist, album

What string do I enter, and how to I set the conversion to place mp3 in a new folder on the flash drive.

and Convert them to mp3 putting them a new folder on the flash drive, ie Car Music.

I tried a few examples and can not conversion to convert music into a mp3 file that looks like my flac file.

I find the app very complicated.

Administrator

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So here is the problem. After spending hours on this I took a flash drive and configured it on a Windows PC Fat32, Master Boot Record.

Only Apple could mess this up. When you configure a Flash Drive on a Mac Fat32, the Mac chooses GUID. This causes all kinds of problems because the converted files are not recognized in the USB Car Player.

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't know if you have this resolved, but the easiest way to mimic your source folder structure would be to set 'Edit Dynamic Naming' to:

Base Location: USBDrive:\Car Music\
    Dynamic Naming: [origpath]\[origfilename]

If you don't want to copy the full path, you can strip leading folders by surrounding [origpath] with [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER] and [], so to remove just the first folder you'd specify:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][]\[origfilename]

to remove the first two folders you'd specify:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

The syntax is covered on the dBpoweramp Naming page.