title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: codec for .OMA files

Cool Re: codec for .OMA files

are you all stupid. Oma is Atrac 3 and drm protected. There is no way to play
    a file on more than 1 PC. May be a very good hacker is able to crack the protection, but i don't believe that.

Unregistered

Re: codec for .OMA files

double-click file, select windows media player from the list, check 'always use this program to play this file'

when windows media player opens and gvies you the message box, check 'never show again for this type of file' and hit ok. you're set

Unregistered

Surt,
    We are not all idiots.. If you read what I wrote just before, nero can play them, and also convert them to other formats.. and I'm no hacker, but could work that out..

Unregistered

I cannot seem to add the files to the list using Nero. Can you please explain as to how you went about it?

Unregistered

I used "Nero Express 6", went COPY DISC, and at the bottom of the screen, there's a MORE button.. Click that, and there's an option to SAVE TRACKS. Click that, then choose the .OMA files you want to rip, what format you want them in, and where to save them on your hard drive.. I saved mine as WMA files, then converted them to mp3 in another program called, "Audio Conversion Wizard"..
    Guchi Jnr..

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I used "Nero Express 6", went COPY DISC, and at the bottom of the screen, there's a MORE button.. Click that, and there's an option to SAVE TRACKS. Click that, then choose the .OMA files you want to rip, what format you want them in, and where to save them on your hard drive.. I saved mine as WMA files, then converted them to mp3 in another program called, "Audio Conversion Wizard"..
    Guchi Jnr..
    umm... what you did was burn mp3s to a cd, then used nero to save mp3s as wma, then used audio conversion wizard to convert them back to mp3s

Unregistered

Several people have not been very respectful in their posting of information. Everyone should please remember that there are many different skill, experience, and knowledge levels when it comes to people dealing with computers and audio players.

I am a computer software engineer. I know quite a bit about Microsoft Windows, and have some basic but very limited understanding of audio players. Below I attempt to provide an explanation that will make sense to people who do not have a computer or other technical background.

HOW TO CONVERT OMA TO MP3:

The OMA format is a format used by Sony for storing audio content. From what I can figure out after reading everything in this discussion forum, it sounds like the only way to convert OMA to another format is to burn an audio CD from SonicStage. Then you can use your media/audio player of choice to read the audio CD to extract the songs from the audio CD for use in an audio player (for example a portable MP3 player like an iPod).

My understanding is that audio CDs have a common enough format that most audio players can read them (do not quote me because I am by no means an expert in music formats or CDs). That is why iTunes, Windows Media Player, Nero, and others can understand them and convert songs from an audio CD into the more common MP3 and WMA formats.

Some people will say that you lose audio quality when you burn OMAs to a CD and then read that audio CD in another media player to extract the songs and transfer them to an audio player. They are correct, the transfer and conversion does indeed alter the song information. In my humble opinion, however, I think a majority of human ears will not notice enough difference to significantly reduce a person's enjoyment from listening to the music. If you listen closely with an analytical ear, you will probably be able to point out that the MP3 copy of an OMA (converted through the burn and re-read an audio CD as described above and by others), has poorer quality in spots. But, when you're listening to this music while in your car, when exercising, or as background music for other activities, most ears will consider the MP3 copy close enough to the OMA that it is good enough and not worth complaining.

I agree with the opinion that Sony should not have used their own format to make it difficult for people to use other players to listen to music that they rightfully and lawfully purchased. If I buy an audio CD, I can play it in any CD player whether at home, work, in my car, etc. The same ought to be true of music people purchase from the Internet. There ought to be an audio player standard so people can play their music on the audio player or their choosing. That is the intent of MP3 and other audio formats; to provide a standard. I will now stop my commentary and hope my ramblings have been helpful to somebody.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    You are not seeing the extension to the filename. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools menu - click Folder Options and click the View tab. Uncheck the box for 'Hide extensions for known file types'. You should now be able to see the OMA extension.
    It works ofr me!!!!!!

thanks

Unregistered

I didn't burn anything to cd, just saved the tracks to my hdd from the original oma cd in wma format, then converted them to mp3..
    Guchi Jnr..

New Guy

Sony did not invent this ATRAC3 format specifically for their sony connect store. They actually created it for ther Mini Disc players, about 10 years ago. What sucks, is that MD players automatically converted over your starting audio format to their ATRAC3 format; NOW they are using that format as leverage to have us buy their hardware (like cd players, etc.). I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not buying it. and I refuse to use their connect online store.

I have done a fair amount of investigation on what the best online music store is, and so far, I like Napster.lite
    The format is in .WMA, and it lets me use my typical burning software to create CD's to listen to in my car. After all, I paid .99 cents for the song, I ought to be able to listen to it however I damn well please.

Unregistered

Yeah this is some mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*in' bullshit

Unregistered

I cant beileve this bullshit. Im trying to listen to my *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*in song. This makes me wanna shit. All these mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*ers at Sony just suck dicks, they cant make a format for all us niggers. What the *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*. This is some mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper **blooper**blooper* bullshit. I cant beielve this. Im gonna go down there and rip their dicks off. Mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*ers make me sick. So do all of you. Assholes. *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**bloo per**blooper* assholes. I hate assholes. Bitch ass wack motha *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*as! I kill all of you! Ha ha ha ha ha!!!! I run you over with my *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*in car and then shit in your face. I'll beat you with foreign objects till you fall like a *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**bloo per**blooper* rock. Mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*ers! You and Sony can take turns licking my balls. then I run you over in my *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper**bloo per**blooper* car! HA HA HA!!! Your gonna get hit by MY car bitch! Then after all is said and done. Imma put your bosy in the *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*in river. Have some hillbilly ass mother*blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*er find you. Then when he calls the cops ill take your body and run it over again bitch! Then I got this fat ass friend. She is gonna be in the car. So you know her ass is gonna make sure your sqaushed bitch! Were gonna get you!!!

Please leave your name and address for further assisstance, Thank You

Sam in KC

Talking Re: codec for .OMA files

Conversion was very simple - no tricks. Using that awful Sony software, just go to Tools, Options, CD Recording, Select Format. Then change the format to WAV.

Next when you record to a CD on any computer, not just Sony Viaos, right click on your music, select Transfer To, then select Create Audio CD. This will create a WAV file CD which can be ripped to what ever you want.

Good Luck,

Sam

Unregistered

Wink Re: codec for .OMA files

Here's a guaranteed way to convert it. Use a program that can read .oma formats (a.k.a. SonicStage), and put those tracks on a CD. Then put the CD back into your computer and use a program that can copy music from a CD to .mp3 format (a.k.a. MusicMatch Jukebox). Then when you add it to that program in .mp3 format you will now have that file on your computer sucessfully converted, without a codec or anything like that.

Unregistered

I have changed the extension file names from .oma to .wav and got them to plat in the windows medis player, but when trying to burn them to cd using roxio it isn't recognized as a valid audio file. so I'm half way there.