title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: codec for .OMA files

Unregistered

Re: codec for .OMA files

I'm not quite sure I understand, change what name to .MP3. Because mine is named "Hobbastank_The_Reason," there's no .OMA to change...blah

Unregistered

You are not seeing the extension to the filename. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools menu - click Folder Options and click the View tab. Uncheck the box for 'Hide extensions for known file types'. You should now be able to see the OMA extension.

Unregistered

Talking Re: codec for .OMA files

looks like .oma is a variation on wm players .wma format, so logically wm player will play em I'm listenin to one now on wm player, but as for the "change it to .mp3" , I made a copy of an .oma file, renamed it, tried it in winamp, no play, meaning winamp is trying to read the file and not recognizing the languages as .mp3, so to that lame idea

Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: codec for .OMA files

renaming a file as just about any extension and then playing it within Windows Media player WILL work because it will open a dialogue box explaining to you that the file extension does not match the file format and ask if you still want to play it, which is successful, although you still can't play the file in anything that doesn't recognize the .oma format, so again nix on that idea fo simply renaming the file woteva.oma to woteva.mp3

Unregistered

Don't know if this was just luck or not, but I used the "create an audio CD" option in sonicstage and then used the CD to import into itunes. It's a pain, but it worked.

Abdel

Well I put it to wma and it works fine. So then find a wma 2 mp3 and then that should work.

Unregistered

Talking Re: codec for .OMA files

I found a way that works.
    Use sonicstage to copy the files on to an audio cd.
    Change the settings to download cds to wav format
    Copy the cd back.
    Use musicmatch to convert the files to mp3 or leave them alone.
    Note: This works for songs from connect.com that are protected.

Travis

dinotats

Found this thread because of the Big Mac song thing. Downloaded song. Went to find the song in 'puter had a .oma I thought "WTF is .OMA so I guess it's corporate trying to be evil by selling/giving us a song and then trying to make it time-consuming\painful to use our purchase anyway we want.

Sounds like a crappy deal. But I'll try it out too.

Unregistered

As stupid as it sounds (and I know these posts sound stupid), it DOES work. In fact, as soon as you change the extension name to mp3, Windows immediately identifies it with the Media Player icon style. If Sony is so desperate to sell its computers, you would think that they could have thought of something a bit more technologically challenging than this. Oh well.

Unregistered

ALthough it seems that most people iin this forum have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, I would just like to make a couple of notes.
    1. ".mp3" has absolutely no bearing on the file contents. While the extension is generally associated with the filetype, there is no rule that makes this true. A word document with the extension ".mp3" will still work in word, but not in WMP.
    2. Renaming the file to mp3 was a good idea. However, simply looking at the file in a text editor should tell you that it is certainly not an mp3 file. All you did was get the file into the media player, which searched for a matching codec (in this case not the mp3 codec), and played the file
    2. For those of you who want to burn the file, then rip it with another program, or play it with SonicStage and record it with something else, knock yourselves out, but you are going to lose another 1-3 generations of sound quality, any additional data stored along with the music data, and a good deal of time. Don't bother.
    3. ChristinaS brings up a good point: "Renaming a file does not convert it to another type of file." Think logically about that. Does sony have any reason to make a new file format? No. LOGICAL CONCLUSION: associate the .oma extension with an audio player. You probably have the codec already, although I haven't bothered to research it. But once you get it into another player with the ability to encode an mp3, it is easy to put the file into the appropriate format.
    Have fun dealing with this decietful file type. And a tip for those of you who are still struggling with these concepts: if you learn something about the technology you are dealing with, you might eventually get somewhere.

Unregistered

More notes.
    4. There's no "oma" to change? give me a break. Ever heard of "hide extensions for known filetypes?" Didn't think so. Find Windows XP for Dummies or something.
    5. The "ma" in wma has nothing to do with the "ma" in oma. That's just ridiculous.
    6. "as soon as you change the extension name to mp3, Windows immediately identifies it with the Media Player icon style!" AMAZING! I guess that means its really encoded using an MP3 codec!
    7. Im sure many of you will not get the sarcasm in No. 6. Save a picture of yourself on your computer, and change the file extension to .mp3. THE ICON CHANGES! WOOHOO! I guess that means there's audio encoded in the picture. Who knew?
    8. Importing the music into ITunes? why? That's pointless.

Unregistered

Regarding the previous post:

"8. Importing the music into ITunes? why? That's pointless."

I imported into itunes so I could put the music on my ipod. If you know of an easier way, please do tell. I don't claim to be a computer whiz or anything--I was only trying to help by offering a solution that worked for me.

Unregistered

You need not convert the file to another format. Windows Media player can play these files without any quality degradation. It does give a message saying that the file is not recognized by windows media player but is still able to play it. I haven't tried the same with other players simply because i don't have any other players!!

Unregistered

Smile Re: codec for .OMA files

I also had that problem, but not anymore!! I could play them in WMP9 only, but not winamp or anything else I tried, but wanted to have them as mp3 on my pc..
    So, I ran Nero and had it do a copy cd, but instead of copying it, I went to the options at the bottom, and clicked "Save Tracks", and I now have all the tracks on my HDD.. And yes, they play just fine.. No worries!!

Unregistered

Oops, I should also add that they are mp3 now..
    Guchi Jnr...