title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: codec for .OMA files

La Vale

codec for .OMA files

Hi everyone,
    I'm searching for a codec to convert .OMA files (These are music files created by Sony Music, you can find them for example in the new Anastacia cd) to any other type of music files (mp3, wma, ram)..
    Thank you..
    La Vale

Unregistered

Re: codec for .OMA files

I am also looking for this.
    I really get tired of the ristricted file usage.
    personally I feel if your going to bother spending the cash for the song. (sonicStage) you should have the ability to use it on your equipment.

87PowerRam

simple ,just change the .oma to .mp3 in the name.. it'll popup and say "file conversion in process ,converting to .mp3 could make file unuseable..continue?" or something close to that ,click yes/ok and it'll change the format to .mp3..have tested it ,works fine

POKETNRJSH

Doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 87PowerRam
    simple ,just change the .oma to .mp3 in the name.. it'll popup and say "file conversion in process ,converting to .mp3 could make file unuseable..continue?" or something close to that ,click yes/ok and it'll change the format to .mp3..have tested it ,works fine
    Renaming a file does not convert it to another type of file. Some file extensions are equivalent to each other, and they in fact represent the same type of file, then yes, you can rename. Normally you shouldn't.

If .oma is a file created with an mp3 codec, then renaming it to .mp3 may work. Otherwise you'd just be getting into bigger trouble.

What a Google search has revealed on .oma as a file extenstion is that it is associated with media files that also are protected by DRM. Thus converting them is most likely impossible.

If you have a player on your pc capable of playing such a file, try dMC Auxiliary Input to capture the audio to wav and convert that to something else (or capture directly to mp3 or another format).

Unregistered

Talking Re: codec for .OMA files

87PowerRam...ur an idiot....

BigDada-Z

Talking Re: codec for .OMA files

Kinda funny, but more Microsoft-like...you can only create/burn MP3 CD's if you have a Sony VAIO computer....It wouldn't even let me convert from the oma file to wav, using Sony's own software, because I don't have a VAIO Craputer.....

Also...nevermind...this is becoming a rant, I'll save it for another thread

Unregistered

87PowerRam;

Thanks, I did it it a Norah Jones song I got from the Big Mac free song DL and it WORKED! (I actually made a copy and renamed the copy)

Thanks 87PowerRam!

Unregistered

ok, I can play a file when I changed the extension to mp3. My Creative player plays it fine. When I try to send it to Itunes I can't seem to find it in my library.Also when I send it to my friend, it says File not supported.

My theory is when you download the sony software for their online store, it allowed me to play it as an mp3. Possible they did something in the registry.
    So try installing sony's software first, I deleted it and I still can play the Norah Jones tunes.
    I'm sure if I wanted to send it to itunes bad enough I can burn an audio CD then rip it with Audio grabber and get a working file for Itunes.

Any case it's pretty ignorant calling someone stupid cause you didn't understand how it works or couldn't get it to work.

Unregistered

these files still play in wmplayer in the oma format

if you change the extentsion you are just changing the name unless you ACTUALLY convert it

wmplayer will play oma even though it says it doesnt support it

i want to burn these to cd to play in a player but i dont have a "sony atrac walkman"

what the hell is atrac anyway some way to get you to buy there crap

this big mac thing is just a big advertising scheme

Unregistered

Itīs so easy. No tricks at all. Just rip it with:

DB powerAMP music converter - Audio cd input

It rips right from the cd and converts it to a wav file

www.dbpoweramp.com

PKL

Quote Originally Posted by La Vale
    Hi everyone,
    I'm searching for a codec to convert .OMA files (These are music files created by Sony Music, you can find them for example in the new Anastacia cd) to any other type of music files (mp3, wma, ram)..
    Thank you..
    La Vale

87poweramp....
    lol, that is one of the sillyest things i've heard, but it works.. lol...
    Logically it should not work (if it's a non mp3 codec) but .... it is..
    DIDN`t yall know that? :lustig1:

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Itīs so easy. No tricks at all. Just rip it with:

DB powerAMP music converter - Audio cd input

It rips right from the cd and converts it to a wav file

www.dbpoweramp.com

PKL
    so you have to burn it to a "sony atrac" cd in order to convert it or does dbpoweramp record from it playing and does it play the oma files

if it does just rerecord it (if that makes sense)

Unregistered

Cool Re: codec for .OMA files

Changing the file name to mp3 does not work. You were probably lucky when you changed it because the player you use to play it could already play it as an OMA file. The tag for a file doesn't necessarily mean the file is of that type, but is just a description for it. So far, Windows Media Player and Sony SonicStage are the only players that I can play it in. It doesn't work in Real Player. And 87powerRam, you are an idiot that probably barely knows how to use a computer.

Unregistered

well i was hoping dbpower amp had a codec for it or winamp and i could take the winamp codec or plugin and put it in dbpoweramp with the "winamp codec" at codec central

i also tried to use plugins from wmplayer and put it int he winamp codec folder for dbpower amp
    though i ran out of time and im kinda busy
    if someone else wants to try go ahead