title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

setting the Output Directories in version 7.7

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruinousbastard
    • Mar 2022

setting the Output Directories in version 7.7

In version 6.6, the following options were available when choosing which directory to rip the files/songs to...

Edit Dynamic Naming
    Existing Source Folder(s)
    Single Folder
    Preserve Source Path

Now only one choice is listed...

Edit Dynamic Naming

Click image for larger version

Name:	dBpoweramp 77 directories.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	297715

What happened to the other choices especially Single Folder?

It's cumbersome to go through more dialog boxes than it was before.

Or am I still delusional?

These choices are still available in the Converter app so why not in the CD Ripper app?

Name:	dBpoweramp converter directories.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	297716

Also what the &%*$ are these choices for?...

Music\Source Filename
    Public Music\Source Filename
    Video\Source Filename
    Public Video\Source Filename

???

I can find no documentation regarding any of this.
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Re: setting the Output Directories in version 7.7

Originally posted by ruinousbastard
    In version 6.6, the following options were available when choosing which directory to rip the files/songs to...

Edit Dynamic Naming
    Existing Source Folder(s)
    Single Folder
    Preserve Source Path
    I think you are looking at the options for the Music Converter version here. You cannot preserve the source path (or folder) for an audio CD when ripping.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by GBrown
      I think you are looking at the options for the Music Converter version here. You cannot preserve the source path (or folder) for an audio CD when ripping.
      Yes that is the Music Converter options as I stated BUT they were also the options in the CD Ripper app version 16.6 !!!

I realize the source path cannot be retained BUT that is not the question. The question is what happened to the "Single Folder" option that was in version 16.6 ???
      Last edited by ruinousbastard; 03-29-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
        • Mar 2022

I used to go through the following to rip a CD...

Encoder Setting -> Output To: [dropdown menu] -> Single Folder -> [navigate to directory]

That DISAPPEARED with version 17.7 unless I'm on a different planet in a parallel universe.

This is the only choice I have NOW with version 17.7...

Encoder Setting -> Output To: [dropdown menu] -> Edit Dynamic Naming -> Base Location [Set] -> [navigate to directory]

My question is...

What happened to the Single Folder option ???
        Last edited by ruinousbastard; 03-29-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• GBrown
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2009

dbPoweramp is currently at release R17.7. Are you comparing to R6.6 from over a decade ago, or R16.6? Either way I am not sure what you are looking at with the Single Folder option in CD Ripper.

Regardless, if you want to specify a folder at the time you are ripping, just press the "Set" button beside the Path drop-down, and you can choose it through a standard explorer interface.

The Naming drop-down displays what was there originally by default, or whatever you may have changed it to last. Again if you press the "Set" button beside that window you can adjust the naming structure however you want.

BTW - these other choices...
          Also what the &%*$ are these choices for?...

Music\Source Filename
          Public Music\Source Filename
          Video\Source Filename
          Public Video\Source Filename
          ... are pretty standard default user folder suggestions that match those that Windows uses.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
            • Mar 2022

Yes version 16.6 had the "SINGLE FOLDER" option in the dropdown menu for OUTPUT OPTION. I used version 16.6 for YEARS and only recently upgraded to 17.7 so DON'T TELL ME IT WASN'T THERE.

NOW, LIKE I SAID, I have to go through the EDIT DYNAMIC NAMING dialogs AS MY SCREEN SHOT CLEARLY SHOWS. There is no direct route to windows explorer directory navigation other than that.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
              • Mar 2022

Re: setting the Output Directories in version 17.7

Should be version 17.7 not 7.7, maybe the admin can fix it.

Comment

• GBrown
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2009

In your screenshot, you have selected Multi Encoder in the "Rip to" setting selection box. This will give you the prompt you are seeing. This is the default for multi as you will need to ensure the naming convention doesn't have one new file overwrite another that was just created.

If you change this "Rip to" to the format you want, say FLAC or mp3, it will let you choose below that the path and naming you are looking for.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
                  • Mar 2022

In your screenshot, you have selected Multi Encoder in the "Rip to" setting selection box. This will give you the prompt you are seeing. This is the default for multi as you will need to ensure the naming convention doesn't have one new file overwrite another that was just created.

If you change this "Rip to" to the format you want, say FLAC or mp3, it will let you choose below that the path and naming you are looking for.
                  But that's not how I've been doing it for YEARS.

For YEARS, I've been ripping to flac and mp3 using the multi-encoder in version 16.6.

I updated to version 17.7 because I began to experience another issue with the popup dialog and thought maybe my installation was corrupt and now's a good time to upgrade...
                  Hello, I've been using dbpoweramp cd ripper for a few years. Recently, for some strange and unknown reason (otherwise I wouldn't be asking why? I guess), the Information log popup window that used to appear after ripping a CD was complete, stopped popping. I get no notification that the rip was done except to view the RIP

(note to Spoon: I was getting the popup info dialog in BURST MODE and now I'm not !!!)

As soon as I began to use version 17.7, I notice the "SINGLE FOLDER" option in the "OUTPUT TO" dialog box using the "MULTI-ENCODER" was GONE.

I don't know what the problem(s) are but there seems to be something very anomalous about either my installation of version 16.6 back when it was installed YEARS ago or my installation of 17.7 just past a few weeks ago. That is according what my EXPERIENCES have been versus what I'm told by the experts.

Do you think I'm making this up because I've got nothing better to do?

I'm very tired of this... whatever this is.

Comment

• ruinousbastard
                    • Mar 2022

I uninstalled version 17.7 and reinstalled version 16.6.

The "SINGLE FOLDER" option is back as this screenshot proves.

Name:	dBpoweramp 166 directories.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	294547

Why wasn't the "SINGLE FOLDER" option available in 17.7?

Comment

• ruinousbastard
                      • Mar 2022

You are missing the entire point of my issue.

Comment

• simbun
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2021

My guess would be that they removed options that were not valid ('Existing Source Folder' when ripping CDs) or not utilised.

It may help if you described your use case, as I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to change the directory whilst ripping audio CDs (I'd either use Dynamic Naming or a single rip folder if I have routines that I want to run against the output).

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Single folder was removed because it had no naming associated with it, for music converter it makes sense as it uses the source filename, CD ripper has no source filename.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GBrown
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ruinousbastard
                            You are missing the entire point of my issue.
                            No misunderstanding your original post concerns from my side, I was simply providing you with how to accomplish what you have been looking for with the current version. For what was the Single Folder option, just make that path a part of your dynamic naming profile and that's where all files will be written moving forward.

Comment

Working...

]]>