title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using [Arrange Audio] to Organize and ID Tag Batches of Audio Files

Using [Arrange Audio] to Organize and ID Tag Batches of Audio Files

Hello DBPoweramp Support Forum,

I'm trying to devise an [Arrange Audio] arrangement scheme through Batch Converter that would allow me to create a folder structure that would only add disc folders to said structure if I'm converting a multi-disc album (I assume this would be done with a programmable action such as [IFMULTI] but I don't know exactly how I'm supposed to write it). Here's what I have so far: [album artist] - [album]/Disc [disc]/[track] [title]

I've tried innumerable combinations of banging my head against the wall but am about to pass out. Can someone please advise me on how to proceed?

The other conversion I'm trying to accomplish is using the "ID Tag Processing" DSP Effect to add "(Disc *)" to the album tag. I also haven't gotten anywhere with this but have tried different combinations with rule based manipulation, mapping, and additions but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, are there any guides that could provide some direction as to how to do this stuff so I can try to mitigate pestering this forum in the future?

Regards,
    John

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 17.27.35.jpg
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 03-10-2022 at 08:28 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Using [Arrange Audio] to Organize and ID Tag Batches of Audio Files

Google 'dBpoweramp Naming' and it will take you to a page with examples, although [IFMULTI] only appears to be true if DISCNUMBER > 1, which wouldn't work for the first disc, so you might need to use an [IF!EQUALS] on DISCTOTAL instead.

I don't know how you'd add (Disc x) to the Album tag. Out of interest, why would you want to do that? I understand that you might want to add a DISCSUBTITLE if one exists, but not DISCNUMBER.

Administrator

Try:

[album artist] - [album]/[IFMULTI]Disc [disc]/[][track] [title]

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try:

[album artist] - [album]/[IFMULTI]Disc [disc]/[][track] [title]
    Hey Spoon, this did the trick for arranging multi-disc albums into folders "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc and also not creating disc folders for single disc albums, which will make my life a lot easier. Thank you for your help. I was off by the "[]" you put to the left of "[track]" - what does "[]" do?

Is there a way to also add the disc numbers (i.e., "Stadium Arcadium (Disc One)") to the album ID tags for multi-disc albums within this same [Arrange Audio] process?

Hey simbun, thank you for the resource, I will definitely look into the dBpoweramp Naming page that you recommended.

The reason why I want to add (Disc x) to the album tag is because I tag multi-disc albums with the disc number in order to avoid confusion. i.e., I use the tags "Endtroducing (Disc One)" and "Endtroducing (Disc Two)" instead of just "Endtroducing" so that if I'm shuffling albums and disc one plays it doesn't start playing disc two after the first disc finishes.

Administrator

[] closes the [IFMULTI] statement

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleImagery View Post
    The reason why I want to add (Disc x) to the album tag is because I tag multi-disc albums with the disc number in order to avoid confusion. i.e., I use the tags "Endtroducing (Disc One)" and "Endtroducing (Disc Two)" instead of just "Endtroducing" so that if I'm shuffling albums and disc one plays it doesn't start playing disc two after the first disc finishes.
    Interesting, the only reason I ask is because I go out of my way to do exactly the opposite
    When I'm playing music I want to be able to choose to play just the core album, without any bonus content, so I have the same album name across all the tracks and then use DISCSUBTITLE or GROUPING (depending how the original disc is structured) in order to separate the two parts e.g.

Adele - (2008) - 19 (Expanded Edition)
    Disc 1: 19
    Disc 2: Acoustic Set Live From The Hotel Cafe, Los Angeles

Then from the control point I can either play the whole album, or choose to play the relevant DISCSUBTITLE/GROUPING.
    Admittedly I don't shuffle albums, and I doubt the shuffle functionality will work at the DISCSUBTITLE/GROUPING level.

Regarding adding (Disc One), you could try:
    dBpoweramp CD Ripper > Menu > CD Ripper Options, and under 'Tags & Filenames' choose 'Meta Data & ID Tag' Options, and change 'Multi-CD Add Disc to Album' to '[album] (Disc [discnum])'. This changes the album tag globally, so will be reflected in your folder structure too (if it includes album).

If you preferred One versus 1, you could add to the 'ID Tag Processing' DSP, under 'Manipulation > Word / Character Replacement':
    (Disc 1) -> (Disc One)
    {Disc 2) -> (Disc Two)

This again is a global change.

Hi again

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Interesting, the only reason I ask is because I go out of my way to do exactly the opposite
    When I'm playing music I want to be able to choose to play just the core album, without any bonus content, so I have the same album name across all the tracks and then use DISCSUBTITLE or GROUPING (depending how the original disc is structured) in order to separate the two parts e.g.

Adele - (2008) - 19 (Expanded Edition)
    Disc 1: 19
    Disc 2: Acoustic Set Live From The Hotel Cafe, Los Angeles

Then from the control point I can either play the whole album, or choose to play the relevant DISCSUBTITLE/GROUPING.
    Admittedly I don't shuffle albums, and I doubt the shuffle functionality will work at the DISCSUBTITLE/GROUPING level.
    This is an approach that actually makes a lot of sense and one I might seriously consider because I like the fact that you can include subtitles which I usually end up throwing out for the sake of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Regarding adding (Disc One), you could try:
    dBpoweramp CD Ripper > Menu > CD Ripper Options, and under 'Tags & Filenames' choose 'Meta Data & ID Tag' Options, and change 'Multi-CD Add Disc to Album' to '[album] (Disc [discnum])'. This changes the album tag globally, so will be reflected in your folder structure too (if it includes album).

If you preferred One versus 1, you could add to the 'ID Tag Processing' DSP, under 'Manipulation > Word / Character Replacement':
    (Disc 1) -> (Disc One)
    {Disc 2) -> (Disc Two)

This again is a global change.
    I tried your suggestion regarding adding "(Disc 1)" to the album tags but it didn't work with either my Lossless Converter profile or Arrange Audio. I couldn't find any conflicting settings in any of the other preference settings. I recently tried to simplify my "Default Tag Edit Fields"; could this have something do with why it's not adding (Disc x) to the album tag?:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.15.46.png

I'm also using FLAC. I don't know if that changes anything regarding my tagging capabilities.
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 03-21-2022 at 01:43 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry that's my fault I forgot that you're trying to modify existing files, and that it's not as part of your ripping workflow; the change I suggested was in CD Ripper so only affected rips.

I find the tag manipulation in dBpoweramp quite restrictive so use foobar for everything post rip, even though for conversions that does mean I have to do it in two stages (if I need more than just a straight copy of the tags between formats).

dBpoweramp Guru

mp3tag.exe would also allow such file name/location/tag manipulation in a batch manner.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    mp3tag.exe would also allow such file name/location/tag manipulation in a batch manner.
    @AudibleImagery asked:
    Is there a way to also add the disc numbers (i.e., "Stadium Arcadium (Disc One)") to the album ID tags for multi-disc albums?
    Unless they have a tag that represents the total number of discs in the album, such as TOTALDISCS or storing DISCNUMBER as DISC/TOTAL, then this won't be possible in most taggers as they won't know if it's a multi-disc album.

The only way I know how to add TOTALDISCS to existing files is by using foobar, but it's not exactly straight forward as it uses SQL.