title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A little help

  1. #1

    Question A little help

    I have a HD full of Wav's from back in the day. Unfortunately they are just called track. 1 track. 2 track. 3 etc.
    Using the converter to convert to Flac, how do i access the meta data from say Discogs to the tracks.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bradford, ON Canada
    Posts
    123

    Re: A little help

    Quote Originally Posted by Aor5000uk View Post
    I have a HD full of Wav's from back in the day. Unfortunately they are just called track. 1 track. 2 track. 3 etc.
    Using the converter to convert to Flac, how do i access the meta data from say Discogs to the tracks.

    Thank you in advance
    Is there anything in the folder structure that would help identify these? Like AlbumArtist>Album>Track1.wav or similar?

  3. #3

    Re: A little help

    Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Is there anything in the folder structure that would help identify these? Like AlbumArtist>Album>Track1.wav or similar?
    Unfortunately not.
    These were back in the day I can't even remember what program I used. It's basically a folder "van halen - 1984 jump" <as examples> then 10 tracks inside.

    I was hoping it would be easy as cd ripper... Metadata button {or manually find} copy the Discogs Url ... Boom done.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bradford, ON Canada
    Posts
    123

    Re: A little help

    Quote Originally Posted by Aor5000uk View Post
    Unfortunately not.
    These were back in the day I can't even remember what program I used. It's basically a folder "van halen - 1984 jump" <as examples> then 10 tracks inside.

    I was hoping it would be easy as cd ripper... Metadata button {or manually find} copy the Discogs Url ... Boom done.
    Actually if that is typical of what your folders look like, then you may be in luck. To me this looks like your structure is;
    [Artist] - [Year] [Album] > plus your track list inside, hopefully at least starting in numerical order?

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    126

    Re: A little help

    As long as the files have been ripped correctly (with gaps appended) and each CD is in its own folder then most taggers will be able to look them up from online databases using the track count and lengths.

    I don't think Music Converter looks up tags, so you'll probably want to try one of PerfectTunes, CUETools, foobar2000 or Picard. I've never tried to do this in batch, but I'm pretty sure CUETools and foobar2000 can't do that, so you might want to try the other two first.

    If they're not ripped correctly then you'll want to try something that uses the accoustic signature of the track which I believe PerfectTunes and Picard do.

    It's worth looking around and using a lot of the free trials as this (performing accurate metadata lookups across big batches of music) is a specialist area, and could be a huge amount of work (if you're meticulous with your tags) so would definitely be worth investing in the right tool for the job.

  6. #6

    Re: A little help

    Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Actually if that is typical of what your folders look like, then you may be in luck. To me this looks like your structure is;
    [Artist] - [Year] [Album] > plus your track list inside, hopefully at least starting in numerical order?
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Mother in law taken ill with covid.
    Yes the track order is correct but as stated no other information.

    I did find a SORT OF solution.
    I burnt the tracks to cdr, then ripped with dbpoweramp.. This obviously worked but long winded & defeats the purpose really.

  7. #7

    Re: A little help

    Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    As long as the files have been ripped correctly (with gaps appended) and each CD is in its own folder then most taggers will be able to look them up from online databases using the track count and lengths.

    I don't think Music Converter looks up tags, so you'll probably want to try one of PerfectTunes, CUETools, foobar2000 or Picard. I've never tried to do this in batch, but I'm pretty sure CUETools and foobar2000 can't do that, so you might want to try the other two first.

    If they're not ripped correctly then you'll want to try something that uses the accoustic signature of the track which I believe PerfectTunes and Picard do.

    It's worth looking around and using a lot of the free trials as this (performing accurate metadata lookups across big batches of music) is a specialist area, and could be a huge amount of work (if you're meticulous with your tags) so would definitely be worth investing in the right tool for the job.
    Thanks for your reply mate.
    I'll have a good read of your comment tomorrow. Not with it tonight.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •