title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Current best CD (DVD) USB drives for ripping

Current best CD (DVD) USB drives for ripping

What are the current best CD (DVD) USB2/3 drives for ripping?

Current I use a Samsung Portable BD Writer Model SE-506 Ver.CB (SE-506CB / RSWD) (April 2014) - but sometimes it could not read some tracks.I use secure too.
    With the build in drive of my 12 years McBook (white, ElCapitan) there are no problem.

Now I use a M1 MacMini with Monterey.

Off Topic - I have some dual CD/SACD - gives a chance to rip the SACD layer?
    Another I buyd a classic collection (5 CD + one Blue Ray Audio)- gives a chance to rip BlueRay Audio?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Current best CD (DVD) USB drives for ripping

I have the same model (Samsung SE-506CB/RSWD) and the drive has been fantastic from CDs to Blu-rays.

It is best to just have a couple of cheap drives for those troublesome discs - there is no one best drive to fit all ripping needs.

I have now seen that if I plug the CD/DVD/BR drive into the USB3 HUB instead of the USB2 hub, ripping feels faster and the drive runs quieter too.
    The USB2 hub has its own power supply, the USB3 hub does not.
    However, the keyboard is connected to the USB2 hub.

Unfortunately, Teac no longer builds CD drives in the quality of the past!

As for CRC, does dBpoweramp compare CRC from CD with the written file on the hard disc?

Can we read CRC from a ripped wav or flac file (without the metadata)? With which tool?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fredonmac View Post
    As for CRC, does dBpoweramp compare CRC from CD with the written file on the hard disc?

Can we read CRC from a ripped wav or flac file (without the metadata)? With which tool?
    PerfectTUNES (paid) or CUETools (free) will let you compare previously ripped files CRC against the AccurateRip database.

CUETools (free) are not for Mac available, only for Windows. But I could test CUETools with Crossover (wine).

I bought dBpoweramp, must ask if I get PerfectTUNES at half price (as a bundle) afterwards.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

CUETools (free) are not for Mac available, only for Windows. But I could test CUETools with Crossover (wine).

I bought dBpoweramp, must ask if I get PerfectTUNES at half price (as a bundle) afterwards.
    If you go to your Registration Retrieval page from your original purchase there will be a loyalty offer for 50% off PerfectTUNES.

Thanks - now I buyd PerfectTUNES too!
    Good tool! Supplement to Mp3tag (from Apples Appstore).

Another questions
    a) For a new CD - how I could post title, track title, CRC, etc. to the Accurate db?
    b) How I cold create a cue sheet file automatically?
    c) A table of contents of all downloaded or ripped albums would also not be bad.
    Last edited by fredonmac; 03-03-2022 at 10:31 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Another questions
    a) For a new CD - how I could post title, track title, CRC, etc. to the Accurate db?
    b) How I cold create a cue sheet file automatically?
    c) A table of contents of all downloaded or ripped albums would also not be bad.
    a). You don't. Accuraterip does not concern itself with artists, titles, etc. For a newly released CD, you need to wait for Spoon to update the new database with new submissions before a newly released CD will have an AccurateRip CRC and confidence value. You don't need to re-rip unless you want the AccurateRip tags in the files - just run the files through AccurateRip in PerfectTUNES.

b). See here for download link: https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Utility-Codec. However, I personally do not use this and prefer EAC to get a non-compliant .CUE file. The reality is you probably do not need a .CUE file in 2022...

c). Just use something like foobar2000 to catalog and manage your collection. If you really want a textual output then there are normally methods in the operating system to output the directories and file contents.