title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Error unable to open File" while ripping; filename spaces replaced with "&*9837;"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pgh_Marty
    • Feb 2022

"Error unable to open File" while ripping; filename spaces replaced with "&*9837;"

I've started getting the strangest error when I try to rip a disc. The filenames that the Ripper is trying to write seems corrupted -- it's writing a music note flat character instead of spaces (see image). I've reinstalled the latest version of dBpoweramp, rebooted, etc. No changes. Running Windows 10. Everything worked fine a year ago (handed used ripper since then). I've tried multiple harddrives (C:, D:, NAS)-- same behavior across all:

Click image for larger version

Name:	error picture.png
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	297700

etc.

Any thoughts from anyone?

thank you
    Marty
    Last edited by Pgh_Marty; 02-22-2022, 02:52 AM.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: "Error unable to open File" while ripping; filename spaces replaced with "&*9837;

the &*9837 is just decimal code for a symbol. I don't think that's the actual problem, but a symptom. But for whatever reason, the ripper is not abe to write to the c: drive. .
    https://www.codetable.net/decimal/9837

edit. the plot thickens, as you've reinstalled and tried other drives. (p.s. my comment no longer makes sense as you're edited the original post and noted that the "b" music note character is being written instead of spaces.

What happens if you give the naming string a name with NO spaces. Does that work?
    Last edited by garym; 02-22-2022, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

Re: "Error unable to open File" while ripping; filename spaces replaced with "&*9837;

What is the naming string? What is the list of substituted characters? The substituted characters list may have a space being replaced by the "9837" character which may well be an illegal character in a filename??? Re installation without removing the settings probably maintains the existing substitute character table and possibly the naming string.

The "Filename Restricted characters" table in the Windows version is in the control center under "Configuration" "advanced settings". After clicking on "set" which opens the list, there is a button for resetting the list to default, which may well solve this issue. There is also a box to tick (apparently unticked by default) that restricts filenames to ANSI characters. That would probably prevent this issue (depending on which has priority in the software (the table or the prohibition on non-ANSI characters). But that might have an unintended problem if the poster has some foreign language titled CDs. Microsoft. at least, does allow some foreign language filename characters. I have a few files from CDs with Japanese characters and Windows recognizes them.

Comment

• Pgh_Marty
        • Feb 2022

eureka! Thank you schmidj! That was exactly the problem. Don't know how, but the list in "Filename Restricted Characters" was all gibberish. I restored it to the defaults and now everything works. MANY THANKS!

Comment

• schmidj
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2013

I am glad that solved your issue. I couldn't think of very many things that could cause that. Good luck and let us hope that the table doesn't get corrupted again. Let us also hope that there aren't other things on your PC that got corrupted. You might want to check your hard drive(s) for problems. This is probably a good time to think about backing things up, both your music files and your whole drive(s).

Comment

Working...

]]>