title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: HDCD 20 bit ripping

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

HDCD 20 bit ripping

I have a lot of these HDCD 20 bits instead of 16 bits. Will DBpoweramp rip to a 20 bit flac format. Do I need to do anything different?

Administrator

Re: HDCD 20 bit ripping

If you include the DSP effect 'HDCD' yes the 20 bit data will be decoded.

dBpoweramp Guru

@spoon's advice is correct. But keep in mind that if you rip using the HDCD DSP, the resulting rip in no longer a bitperfect rip of the CD. Without using the HDCD DSP, if you play a regular flac rip of the CD to a player that is HDCD capable, it will pick up on the HDCD nature of the files. And also keep in mind that many CDs lableled as HDCD don't actually use the HDCD features that provide any benefit (e.g., Peak Extension). If it was me, I'd rip HDCD files as regular FLAC (not using the HDCD DSP). Then I have a bit perfect rip. If interested in creating decoded HDCD files that can play to a non-HDCD capable player, I'd then create COPIES of the original FLAC rips using the HDCD DSP in the conversion of these files. Requires two sets of files, but at least you have a bit perfect copy of the CD.

See the following thread for more than you probably wanted to know:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...Best-practices

Thanks for your insights, spoon and garym!

Is there a best way to detect which flac files within a collection contain 20-bit encoding? This would make the decision easy to pursue a bit perfect rip, and then later all files containing 20-bit encoding could be easily identified and ripped separately to provide the decoded HDCD files. Garym, in the thread you shared I see mention of a Foobar foo_hdcd plug-in. Is this still the best option? Does dbpowerAmp provide any relevant features here that help? I'd rather use a program that I already own (dbPowerAmp Reference) if possible.

dBpoweramp Guru

Not sure. @spoon may know.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW42 View Post
    Is there a best way to detect which flac files within a collection contain 20-bit encoding? This would make the decision easy to pursue a bit perfect rip, and then later all files containing 20-bit encoding could be easily identified and ripped separately to provide the decoded HDCD files.
    Assuming you've ripped your files securely without applying the HDCD DSP then they should already be bit perfect, but to be able to identify which rips have HDCD so you can convert them to play on regular renderers, the easiest way is probably CUETools (if you're on Windows). Google 'captain rookie cuetools verification' for a decent guide that will take you through verifying a disc; to verify in batch you simply pick a parent folder instead.

Scanning in batch will identify the discs that are HDCD encoded, but you then need to run it against the individual disc to identify the active HDCD features to see if it's even worth converting.

In batch mode the log will show something like this for a HDCD disc:
    Code:
    .\1997 - nimrod.\CD01\01.01.flac: HDCD detected, AR: rip accurate (151/151), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 308.
    Running a verify pass on the disc itself will reveal the HDCD features:

Code:
    HDCD: peak extend: yes, transient filter: some, gain: -4.0dB..0.0dB
    If you're not on Windows then it's probably ffmpeg. Google 'High Definition Compatible Digital HDCD foobar2000' (the hydrogenaud.io page) for some basics and an ffmpeg script that can be used/modified to your needs.

Thanks Simbun and garym, for your replies.

Simbun, that information regarding CUETools looks great! I'll have to give that a shot. The hydrogenaud.io page was also really helpful. I hadn't realized that there are lists of CDs as well that are HDCD encoded:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hdcd-list.65414/
    https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.ph..._Compact_Discs

Thanks!
    Dave