title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Wish List: CD Ripper would read CD title & tracks like iTunes if not in databases

Wish List: CD Ripper would read CD title & tracks like iTunes if not in databases

When I insert a CD and have CD Ripper opened, iTunes also comes on automatically and also reads the inserted CD. If the inserted CD is not in any of the databases used by CD Ripper, iTunes always comes up with the CD title and the song titles of all of the tracks automatically. CD Ripper does not and asks me to find it or type it manually.

When CD Ripper can't find that data on the CD, I tried selecting CD-Text and CD-ISRC hoping it would read it like iTunes, but it did nothing.

It would be great if CD Ripper could read the data on the CD like iTunes in the event no data can be found in the databases (obviously the data is there). Another option would be for CD Ripper import that data from iTunes because iTunes is able to read it. I don't have time to manually type all of the track data whenever a CD not in the databases is inserted.

Or is there another alternative?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Wish List: CD Ripper would read CD title & tracks like iTunes if not in databases

iTunes is also getting the information from a database (not from the CD itself). iTunes uses GraceNote database. Unfortunately, this database is either not available to dbpoweramp or was priced at such a level that it would be virtually impossible to subscribe. Can't remember why, but in any case, not available.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Wish List: CD Ripper would read CD title & tracks like iTunes if not in databases

I believe GraceNote only license if all other database providers are dropped.

I much prefer having more choice amongst database providers than just one.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skatfamily View Post
    When CD Ripper can't find that data on the CD, I tried selecting CD-Text and CD-ISRC hoping it would read it like iTunes, but it did nothing.
    dbpa ripper can in fact read data from the CD (if it exists), using CD-TEXT or CD-ISRC. So it has that function. But keep in mind that many (most?) CDs do not contain any CD text data to read with metadata.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    But keep in mind that many (most?) CDs do not contain any CD text data to read with metadata.
    And if they do, it's ultra cringy or lazy. Like all caps lettering, or Artist name tacked onto each track.