title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

When Ripping HDCD, how do I know when a HDCD is detected?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tutor turtle
    • Feb 2022

When Ripping HDCD, how do I know when a HDCD is detected?

I am thinning out 1,000's of CD's, but I want to keep the HDCD's. As I rip to FLAC, how do I know if it is HDCD encoded without having to play each one in my HDCD player? Most are marked HDCD, but not all.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: When Ripping HDCD, how do I know when a HDCD is detected?

From a ripping point of view you don't have to differentiate between HDCDs and Non-HDCDs. If a CD is a HDCD, the information will be still in the ripped flac file.

Dat Ei

Comment

• BOOTP
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by tutor turtle
      I am thinning out 1,000's of CD's, but I want to keep the HDCD's. As I rip to FLAC, how do I know if it is HDCD encoded without having to play each one in my HDCD player? Most are marked HDCD, but not all.
      Just look in the resultant log file. Under Track Technical it will show HDCD for any track that is HDCD.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by BOOTP
        Just look in the resultant log file. Under Track Technical it will show HDCD for any track that is HDCD.
        If I add the HDCD DSP I can see 'HDCD Track Detected' in the popup window straight after the rip, but I don't see any 'Track Technical' or HDCD mentioned anywhere in the log.

I've set 'CD Ripper Options > Ripping Method:Secure -> Secure Settings > Report Contents:Detailed' but there's nothing there about HDCD.
        I'm ripping to flac if that makes a difference.

Comment

• tutor turtle
          • Feb 2022

Are you running MAC or PC? One further complication, because I have such an old MAC I am running 10.11.6, about a 10 year old OSX, I had to request an older version of dBpoweramp (17.4). I don't see any popups after ripping a known HDCD. I've been laboriously scanning discs before I rip. I've been finding a lot of unmarked HDCD's. Say 1-in-a-100...

Comment

• tutor turtle
            • Feb 2022

Where can I find the resultant log file?

Comment

• tutor turtle
              • Feb 2022

I am selling most of my CD's I want to keep my HDCD's. The point is to learn which ones are HDCD. Most are marked as such, but I am finding many that are not by doing a quick test listen on discs I'm not sure weather to keep or not. To my surprise, I am finding many HDCD encoded discs that are not marked as such. So unless I want to sample every one of my 1,000's of discs, through my player, there has to be an easier way of learning this through the dBpoweramp application. That is my question.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Look at Track List Columns here: dBpoweramp CD Ripper, in other words, RTFM.

Comment

• simbun
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2021

Originally posted by simbun
                  If I add the HDCD DSP I can see 'HDCD Track Detected' in the popup window straight after the rip, but I don't see any 'Track Technical' or HDCD mentioned anywhere in the log.

I've set 'CD Ripper Options > Ripping Method:Secure -> Secure Settings > Report Contents:Detailed' but there's nothing there about HDCD.
                  I'm ripping to flac if that makes a difference.
                  In response to my own question, you'll only get HDCD information in the log file if you choose to view the 'Track Technical' column in the UI! Wow

Comment

• simbun
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2021

Originally posted by tutor turtle
                    Where can I find the resultant log file?
                    You'll only get a log file if you choose 'Secure' extraction - for some reason - but you shouldn't need that anyway, as pointed out by @mville, just right click (if that's a thing in mac os) on one of the columns in the UI e.g. Rip Status, and select 'Track Technical' from the resulting popup window, this will show you whether the track is "HDCD".

I just wanted to make sure that you haven't already ripped these discs, as there's a much easier way of identifying HDCD tracks/albums if you have.

Comment

• ForSerious
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2017

A couple of things to add to what's been said:
                      Yes ripping to flac will keep the HD-ness, but then you still have to play it with something that can decode it. I prefer to have dBpoweramp decode it with the HDCD DSP. That way, most anything can play it with it's HD-ness.

Second item. There are loads of CDs that are digitally marked as being HDCDs but have none of the features actually encoded onto the CD. The general rule is, if there is no HDCD logo on the CD, it's doesn't have any HD features encoded.
                      (For my CD collection, I have found that only the Country CDs actually have HDCD features encoded. Any Rock CD that the Track Technical column says in an HDCD, I can rip two version of: one with the HDCD DSP and one without. After normalizing for the 24bit volume change from the HDCD DSP, inverting one and mixing them together, will result in pure silence. Meaning there is nothing different in the two versions sonically. That being said, I do have a few Greatest Hits CDs that have like 3 random tracks that are HDCD tracks, and there is no logo on them.)
                      Last edited by ForSerious; 02-14-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

For example, some of the earlier Grateful Dead releases use HDCD and all its features. Examples include the "trunk" complete Europe 72 set. But in recent years, all the Grateful Dead releases that are labeled as HDCD do NOT use the features of HDCD that require decoding, thus no need to do anything special with those.

Comment

• simbun
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2021

Originally posted by ForSerious
                          Any Rock CD that the Track Technical column says in an HDCD, I can rip two version of: one with the HDCD DSP and one without. After normalizing for the 24bit volume change from the HDCD DSP, inverting one and mixing them together, will result in pure silence. Meaning there is nothing different in the two versions sonically. That being said, I do have a few Greatest Hits CDs that have like 3 random tracks that are HDCD tracks, and there is no logo on them.)
                          CUETools will report if there's actually any HDCD features present on the disc (although by default it only scans the first 10 seconds of the first track of a CD), or you can use ffmpeg to analyse each track individually and decide what to do on a per track basis.
                          Google 'hydrogenaudio High Definition Compatible Digital' for a sample bash script.

Comment

• simbun
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by simbun
                            CUETools will report if there's actually any HDCD features present on the disc (although by default it only scans the first 10 seconds of the first track of a CD)
                            Actually that's not correct, it scans the first 10 seconds of every track (with default settings), as I've just found out with a CD where only track 6 has some gain:

Code:
                            HDCD: peak extend: none, transient filter: none, gain: -4.0dB..0.0dB

Comment

Working...

]]>