title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Having trouble ripping Blue Note CD

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Having trouble ripping Blue Note CD

Having problems with Blue Note CD "The other side of midnight". Is there a issue with this label. Disc has no damage, but will not rip accurate. Used burst mode and it seems to play fine. Althought the track menu does not match the CD. Anyone know of issue with this maker of CD's.

It will not rip in Accurate mode, spends a lot of time re-ripping frames.

Does dBpoweramp has an option that suppresses launch programs on CD-like disc.

Playing this rip now on my PC and it sounds great, but the ripped title list does not match the CD jacket list.

Comments?
    Last edited by GVCCbob; 02-08-2022 at 01:55 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Having trouble ripping Blue Note CD

Try a different CD drive.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry. The only suggestion I can think of is to try as many drives as you can.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GVCCbob View Post
    Having problems with Blue Note CD "The other side of midnight". Is there a issue with this label. Disc has no damage, but will not rip accurate. Used burst mode and it seems to play fine. Althought the track menu does not match the CD. Anyone know of issue with this maker of CD's.

Playing this rip now on my PC and it sounds great, but the ripped title list does not match the CD jacket list.

Comments?

Nothing wrong with that label. May just be a CD with a scratch, or something that causes it not to meet accuraterip check. But as you note, even if it doesn't, the 'error' may be a frame or two that is not audible.

the track list being different just means that the metadata was incorrect. As noted in one of your earlier posts, the online metadata databases that rippers read from are mostly a mess. They *mostly* work with rock/pop CDs, but are terrible with classical, and can be pretty bad with Jazz. I find that multidisc CDs are often a mess too. This is the hardest part of ripping....cleaning up your metadata tag info, either at the time you rip (best) or later (harder). Do NOT assume that the ripper has pulled in correct metadata. Check it before finalizing the rip and correct it manually.

dBpoweramp Guru

I think you use a Mac. In Windows, it is Windows that allows me to tell the system what to do when I insert a CD. I set it to "do nothing". But again, this is a WINDOWS setting, not a dbpa setting.

dBpoweramp Guru

Comments?
    trying in multiple optical drives is a good idea (I have CDs that won't rip on one drive, but rip just fine on another...and these are all cheap optical drives, nothing fancy). Also, I often have good luck with a gentile cleaning of the CD with a bit of water and soap, then dry gently.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the help. It is appreciated. Did get it to rip with accurate rating. New to this ripping stuff, and finished my first 75 CD's of 500. What a great app.

I am having a good time with this, learning, and the music streaming using my Oppo 105d sounds terrific using the 2 channel analog dedicated outputs.

Now what to do with 500 CD's dating back to early 80's.

Thank again.

This forum is a really good forum. Lot's of helpful and knowledgeable folks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Now what to do with 500 CD's dating back to early 80's.
    Rip them, and store them away....the ultimate (last ditch) backup plan.

I removed my many thousands of CDs from their cases (discarded the cases), and stored the CDs, front and back inserts, and booklets, in sleeves like these. I can fit about 1,000 CDs in a cabinet that is about 3 feet x 3 feet.
    https://jewelsleeve.com/shop/

dBpoweramp Guru

and backup, backup, backup......you don't want to do all this over again!