title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is there a bulk action for adding missing tags?

Is there a bulk action for adding missing tags?

Hello, I have approx 1000 albums that are missing the "Album Artist" tag. I've been adding them manually through the batch converter and while it's easy to do I'm wondering if there's an easier way?? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is there a bulk action for adding missing tags?

are you trying to simply copy the value in the ARTIST tag to the ALBUM ARTIST tag? If so, I think there is a way to do that in bulk with ID TAG Processing. Not sure the steps, as I use mp3tag to do such things in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    are you trying to simply copy the value in the ARTIST tag to the ALBUM ARTIST tag? If so, I think there is a way to do that in bulk with ID TAG Processing. Not sure the steps, as I use mp3tag to do such things in bulk.
    Yeah, I think that would work for me. Most of the music in these files is that simple. I could go back and edit the files that were different. I think that would be easier than doing all of the files manually.

Hopefully someone knows how to do that or can point me to an explanation.

dBpoweramp Guru

I use foobar for everything apart from ripping, but given there aren't any replies to this I assume there's not a way of doing it through perfectTunes (which does seem pretty basic).

Seeing as though you're on a mac it might be worth using the mp3tag 7 day trial to get it done. If your folder structure is clean e.g. /pathToMusicRoot/albumartist/album e.t.c., you could even derive the albumartist from there which would be better than just copying it from artist, given there will be lots of albums with contributing artists plus of course 'Various Artists' albums.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ElMarko View Post
    Yeah, I think that would work for me. Most of the music in these files is that simple. I could go back and edit the files that were different. I think that would be easier than doing all of the files manually.
    Use ID Tag Update utility codec > Manipulation tab > Rule Based Manipulation

In the Rule Based Mapping window, add the following:
    IF Artist=[anyvalue]
    SET Album Artist=[artist]

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Use ID Tag Update utility codec > Manipulation tab > Rule Based Manipulation

In the Rule Based Mapping window, add the following:
    IF Artist=[anyvalue]
    Thanks but I'm not finding that in the menu. I'm looking under codecs in the advanced menu of the dbpoweramp music converter.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks but I'm not finding that in the menu. I'm looking under codecs in the advanced menu of the dbpoweramp music converter.
    not sure where you're looking. But when you go into batch convert (or just convert) and select the files, the top line in the popup box is "encoding". There is a dropdown menu there that allows you to choose things like mp3 (lame), FLAC, TEST CONVERSION, etc. Near the bottom of that menu is ID TAG UPDATE codec.

not sure where you're looking. But when you go into batch convert (or just convert) and select the files, the top line in the popup box is "encoding". There is a dropdown menu there that allows you to choose things like mp3 (lame), FLAC, TEST CONVERSION, etc. Near the bottom of that menu is ID TAG UPDATE codec.
    I'm on a Macbook Pro in the batch converter looking at the files. There's all sorts of fields that I can select and I seen encoder settings and encoder in the extended properties.I tried to attach an image of my screen but vB is not being helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I look at the files in Finder and not even go into batch/music convert and use the right click drop down menu I see an option for "convert with dbpoweramp" and when I Select that menu I see an option for "id tag update" and another menu with "manipulation' on it. If this is the right area I'm curious how I can select all my files b/c I can only get this menu when I'm highlighting source files. Ideally I'm able to edit the tags from the folder/folders containing the source files. Sorry I'm a noob to this stuff and it's all sort of greek to me.

dBpoweramp Guru

Launch Batch Converter, select files (as you seem to have done in your jpg image) and then click the Convert button.

In the following window you can select the ID Tag Update utility codec, if it is installed.

These instructions are based on my use of dBpoweramp for Windows and I assume it is the same process for the Apple OS.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Launch Batch Converter, select files (as you seem to have done in your jpg image) and then click the Convert button.

In the following window you can select the ID Tag Update utility codec, if it is installed.

These instructions are based on my use of dBpoweramp for Windows and I assume it is the same process for the Apple OS.
    Thanks mville and gary! That did the trick. You saved me so much time. I wasn't using the right menu thanks for getting me dialed in.

Btw, is there a way to add an If statement so it only looks at empty Album Artist tags?

IF Artist=[anyvalue]

dBpoweramp Guru

Btw, is there a way to add an If statement so it only looks at empty Album Artist tags?

IF Artist=[anyvalue]
    I think this would work (nothing after the = sign) and only add if Alubm artist is empty. but test it:

IF Album Artist=

dBpoweramp Guru

dBpoweramp [ID Tag Update] Utility Codec

I think this would work (nothing after the = sign) and only add if Alubm artist is empty. but test it:

IF Album Artist=
    Yep, that works, I tested it and confirmed the syntax in the link mville provided. I ran it on one of my large libraries and it took about 2 hours which is what I was looking for. Thanks again to the both of you! Understanding the text for id tag update manipulation will help me do some clean up as well.